Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-Aliasing on but objects flicker in the distance, including lines on buildings.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by lloydhussell, Aug 23, 2021.

1. lloydhussell

lloydhussell

I have turned anti-aliasing to the TAA on the camera, turned mip-maps off for the road so now I can see that clearly, but I am still having a few undesirable graphical issues.

In red you can see the house on the left having fewer lines, when they get closer again their lines are even more prominent. But I am playing at a very high resolution and shouldn't have an issue at this distance, I feel. I may be wrong.

In green you can see the lamposts are not appearing in the distance.

And in blue the road lines look very strange at this distance.

Are there any techniques I can use to make this better? Whether it be actually changing the graphics, or changing the design of the game world to make it feel better. antialiasingflickeringhighlighted.png

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

If you turn off mip-mapping, you are going to get anti-aliasing. That's the point of mip-mapping!

As I said in the previous post, your best way to do vanishing lines such as on your road is with actual geometry fading off into the distance, with polygons mapped to different colors. Otherwise you are pinched between mipmaps and the limits of oblique anisotropic filtering.

3. lloydhussell

lloydhussell

It looks like this forum would be lost without you. Haha.

After many hours of fooling around with mipmaps (and I did manage to play with the bias in the .meta files), I found that it just wasn't what I was looking for, and turning it off just gave me closer to what I wanted than with it. So I guess I have to take the next approach, which is making the polygons mapped to different colours.

Thanks for the help, Kurt!

Kurt-Dekker likes this.