Search Unity

Question Anti-Aliasing Advise

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by oeMuseum, Nov 3, 2022.

1. oeMuseum

oeMuseum

Hi all,

I have read a lot about this topic but can not get decent results, so I hope to get some advise what to try next by asking here.
    I have a HDRP project set up with simple materials (Standard, just Color, no maps) and geometries (abstract-looking world), but use a physically based sky with a day/night-cycle, as well as a HDRP water shader with reflections for the river:

taa12.jpg

I use TAA for anti-aliasing which overall looks good, but produces some flickering (as expected). I can more or less solve that using the settings, but then another problem intensifies: When sun is low, the moving cars generate strange shadows as well as artifacts on the edge of the street:

taa22.jpg

Whereas when using SMAA or FXAA for Antialiasing, I do not get the flickering nore the shadow-problems. Instead, I get some sort of pattern on the materials, that move like waves. Also the edges of the street look quite rough:

smaa12.jpg

fxaa12.jpg

I am aware that mysetting is complicated as the light changes a lot, so this is tough work for the renderer. Still I hope to find a better outcome but I am not sure how to approach further.
    Any advise is welcome.

Thanks in advance & have a great day!
    oe

Attached Files:

• taa.jpg
      taa.jpg
      File size:
      142.8 KB
      Views:
  2. akent99

akent99

What version of Unity are you using? There are statements that TAA has been improved in later versions of Unity (maybe 2022.2 which is still in beta). I also found it failed enough times for me (2022.1) to be annoying, so in my project (which is NOT a game) I leave antialiasing off unless the shot clearly benefits from it. (I realize for games that is probably not an option.)

3. impheris

impheris

With TAA problems i think is better if you show a video about it

4. oeMuseum

oeMuseum

Hi akent99,
    Hi impheris,

thanks for helping out!
    My project is not a game, still dynamic - it is a visualization in a museum. Hence, not possible to switch offf antialiasing, it just looks too blocky then. I will try the beta version and report back, thanks for the tip. EDIT: The new version does not solve the problem with TAAA.

As for the video, showing the problems with TAA, please find it here.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  5. impheris

impheris

For the little clip you shared i can see that you maybe have a very low resolution in the camera or do not have MSAA at all and also too high the value for history sharpening, playing with TAA is very complicated at least for new guys like me xD even reading the "documentation"(?) or tutorials is still unclear. Always use the high quality preset and work from there and try with lower values at first to see what is changing. I recommend lower values for: sharpen strength and history sharpening. I'll show you the settings i'm using for a realistic HDRP scene... Hope it helps
    Also, check your realtime (or mixed) light's shadows quality and resolution.
    Edit: Also, next time try recording a video with a higher resolution to show more details :)

aasas.jpg

6. warthos3399

warthos3399

From what i see, use SMAA or FXAA, and adjust the length of your shadow, and its resolution...