Search Unity

Answer me

Discussion in 'Unity Reflect' started by Hyobin_MX, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Hyobin_MX

Hyobin_MX

HI, I have been dealing with these issues for a long time

I have reached to the support team and success team

but nothing is satisfying

currently, I am trying to modify Unity Reflect Viewer

the developing environment is Windows 10 and Mac and the current target platform is iOS

here are my questions

1. How to implement Callback methods into the scripts attached to Reflect prefab
      1. whatever I tried to put or modify inside the scripts attached to Reflect prefab, they disappear
      2. I got the answer for the reason of this, since the package of Reflect should be updated so it doesn't allow the modification
      3. https://docs.unity3d.com/reflect/manual/devguide/PackageCustomize.html, here it says possibly it might work if I move the package into my local project folder, but it doesn't work
    2. AR mode availability
      1. the Reflect viewer app we can download from App store has the AR mode available
      2. The AR mode is not available on the Reflect Viewer I am working on my computer or on my iOS device
      3. the button for that option is missing
      4. I was provided with a tutorial on ARkit but this is not what I want
      5. Why is it not possible to use the AR mode already implemented in the original Reflect Viewer?
    3. Reflect version 1.3, iOS building issue
      1. One day, I was trying to build the viewer onto my iOS device, but weirdly it was not working
      2. I found out that the package of Reflect was updated into 1.3
      3. whenever I hit the build button there are several errors
      4. one of them is "Library/PackageCache/com.unity.reflect@1.3.0-preview.104/Runtime/Utils/IOSAuthBackend.cs(24,33): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'LoginManager' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"
      5. it seems some references are missing
      6. I was provided with a basic guide on how to build on iOS, which was really frustrating
    4. Reflect viewer Camera control
      1. on Unity Editor, it does not matter but on the mobile version, moving around inside the viewer is weird
      2. when loading a project, by swiping the screen you can rotate the camera to look around
      3. if you double tab to a certain spot, you can move to that spot right away
      4. However, after that behaviour, you are no longer able to rotate the camera
      5. There is no guide for this

To Unity, I do understand Unity Reflect is a brand-new plugin
    But, you do charge me, requiring me to have Unity Pro in order to modify then don't you think at least you have things prepared properly?
    I feel as if I am doing a beta testing by paying for this

your answers are all the time late

I want the answers right now

2. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Hey Hyobin_MX,
    Thanks for reaching out, I'll try and help you out as much as I can, and when I can't, I'll try and find the right folks who can, and have them answer on this thread.

You mentioned 1.3, so I assume you're on the latest an greatest version at this point. We made it easier for devs to modify our Viewer in this version by making our source available on github here. This way, you shouldn't have to modify the prefab in the package anymore, but work directly in the App source.

I think the first step for you will be to move to the github workflow, since this would most likely solve most of the problems you're seeing here.

If you're having any trouble, just yell at me here, and we can hop onto a call with the dev team and help get you started!

PS.: Just to set some expectations, I won't be monitoring this thread next week, buyt I'll have someone else keep an eye on it.

David

3. Hyobin_MX

Hyobin_MX

@DavidMenard

as you said you would not monitor this thread but I hope my message can reach someone else
    since I really want to ask something

before starting to ask, most of the issues I had were solved I appreciate that

While I am looking into the new viewers including the scripts, I realized that there are bunch of features hidden or not implemented yet
    One of them is 'To measure', of which button was hidden on the right side panel under the sun study button
    I have been required to implement a kind of measuring feature where the user can place 2 points and the distance between the 2 points are generated

I have implemented I simply in the old viewer by using Raycast and LineRenderer
    I realized that the implementation of selecting objects by Unity is much more precise than mine, so I'd like know whether the concept of Unity's measuring is same or similar as mine and how it works

Plus, I have checked that the new viewer does not equip the objects with Mesh Collider and in SpatialSelector class, it does that but I don't know when it happens could you me in this matter as well?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  4. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Hey! Glad most of your issues were sorted out :)
    We haven't actually started working on the measurement tool, so I can' really give any details there, but we will most likely be using a method similar to our selection.
    As you can imagine some of the models that go through Reflect can be pretty &*!?@ huge, and adding colliders to everything just isn't performant enough!
    I'm not too familiar with the code myself, I'll ask one of our engineers to answer your second question. Did you discover our samples btw? There's an example in there on how to add colliders. You can download the samples from Package Manager, once you select the Reflect package
    upload_2020-10-28_9-53-30.png

5. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @Hyobin_MX!

Using raycasts is currently the easiest and more precise way to do selection in the Viewer. However, as David mentioned, Colliders are not added by default on all objects so you'll have to look at the Add Colliders sample and have a similar implementation in your code.

Once the objects have colliders, you should be able to port the measurement tool you did for the old viewer into the new one.

I hope this helps!

6. Hyobin_MX

Hyobin_MX

I just checked your answer now, thank you!
    I had solved issue already by using ,as you mentioned, RayCast and implementing Colliders onto every object
    For now, it's working fine but I am a bit concerned about the performance when the project is huge in the future
    I will check the sample

I have another question.
    I wonder whether Unity is aware of this issue or I cannot find a feature for this
    When the user has a project of multiple floors in it, and uses the AR mode, the user is faced with a limitation of being unable to climb or move to higher floors
    In AR mode, the user loses the access to the camera control
    Because of this issue, Using the ratio of 1:1 in AR mode blocks the user from navigating other floors
    Is there any feature present or plan for this issue?

7. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Hey Hyobin_MX,
    We are well aware of this issue and are working on it :) Hopefully, you'll see some cool stuff in the next release to help with that! I can't really say when that will be, but we're working hard to get it out ASAP!
    David

8. Hyobin_MX

Hyobin_MX

One more thing,
    There is a difference or something missing in the camera control between when in Unity Editor and in iOS device(I guess same on Android not sure since I haven't tested)

There are 2 types of control when swiping on the screen(mobile devices) or dragging(Unity Editor) : rotate the camera or the model
    Also, the user can teleport the camera by double-clicking on Unity Editor but, it's not possible on mobile devices
    the user is only able to rotate the camera or the model, which prevents the user from navigating the models in the normal mode

Is this a issue and known? or just I cannot find a feature for that on mobile devices?

9. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Same thing, it's a known issue, that we haven't gotten to fixing yet. It'll be fixed in the next version :) Shoot me an email if you want to give it a try early, and I'll invite you to our testflight!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  10. Hyobin_MX

Hyobin_MX

Sure I did send it again!

11. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Got it. I'm making a quick video and sending you the invite soon :)

12. Hyobin_MX

Hyobin_MX

I have been too busy to test the app so I did this week
    However, the result was quite disappointing since the app crashed a lot and I could not use the feature properly