Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Another Unity merger/partnership/thingy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hippocoder, Aug 3, 2022.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

At this point I suggest to simply stop caring.

chingwa likes this.
  3. Antypodish

Antypodish

I know that much
    https://www.capgemini.com/

Edit:
    Actually, Capgemini is known in my city for decades.
    Earlier been providing consumers internet.
    Obviously its services expanded since.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  4. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Some twitter users claim to know who they are:

___

___

There's also this fun piece of information. If you had concerns about the safety of data in relation to IronSource, here's another vector for exposure:

Razer sues IT firm Capgemini for over US$7m, wants full compensation for data leak: https://vulcanpost.com/795473/razer-capgemini-full-compensation/

5. polemical

polemical

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

OK well it just reads to me like that maybe they have some customers to share with Unity for enterprise / accelerate etc. Stuff like that. Doesn't seem like anything game devs will benefit (or be harmed) by.

Though the Razor thing is a worry when you see that this company claims to be cybersecurity experts.

7. tatoforever

tatoforever

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

9. Antypodish

Antypodish

This event, also cause this spike in Unity

upload_2022-8-4_1-16-0.png

and respectively in capgemini

upload_2022-8-4_1-14-32.png

10. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

11. Antypodish

Antypodish

Interesting.

12. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

I like how they decided to select only a very specific line but completely glossed over other things that indicate that whoever they decided to partner with is just another "do it all", "keep track of latest trends" tech company. I mean at this point it's going to be pretty hard to find major business consulting firms that don't offer any sort of service related to that.

xjjon likes this.
  13. xjjon

xjjon

They just want to be outraged :p

14. pekdata

pekdata

Around here Capgemini is known for being one of those IT corporations selling loads of different "solutions" for government organisations and big business. Not relevant for regular games. Maybe their partnership means when someone asks Unity to do the boring business logic work they outsource it to Cagpemini and vice versa for 3d/AR/VR and Unity.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    stain2319 and Ryiah like this.
  15. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Another &$§%§$()§$(% thread ...

Here's a list of other companies partnering with Capgemini. I'm sure they all went through the same S***storm, right?

upload_2022-8-4_11-50-35.png
    ... plus VMWare. Didn't fit my screen so it got cut off. ;)

16. TechnicolorMage

TechnicolorMage

It really seems like Unity is trying to go all in on the Metaverse and...well, that's a choice you could make, I guess.

17. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Unity is a company. Companies look for opportunities to make money. Despite empowering Indies, it is heavily a B2B business. As such, they look for other companies' opportunities to make more money. To that end, whether we like it or not, things like badvertising, neglectable fugitive tokens, non-insertable cryptocoins, etc. etc. are where the money is right now and Unity is going for it and we can't blame them. End of story.

I am in the indie faction. I enjoy working with Unity. I won't do big data or big money. As long as I get the benefits that I'm used to and that are important to me, such as frequent updates and a stable work environment, I'm good.

ippdev and Ryiah like this.
  18. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's latest attempt to reduce the value of their own stock. It had just reached the point that it was at before the merger with ironSource and they're already trying to tank it again. :p

Just about every company out there will have or has had a data leak. In my opinion what is most important isn't that a leak has occurred but the steps the company takes in response to the leak.

Concerning Razer vs Capgemini the trial ended very quickly thanks to an ex-employee admitting to it.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/admission-early-end-razer-trial-it-vendor-data-breach-1950936
    https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/razer-lawsuit-vendor-ex-staff-admits-causing-leak-1950181

hippocoder and PanthenEye like this.
  19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Still, takes some proper nuggets in the y fronts to claim you are experts in cybersecurity after that. Yet they do.

20. Zephus

Zephus

Eh. Capgemini actually sponsored my graduation celebration and they not only seemed very nice, but I also know multiple friends that started working there. This isn't even close to the ironSource debacle and might actually be positive news.

DragonCoder, Antypodish and Ryiah like this.
  21. Murgilod

Murgilod

This isn't positive or negative news, really. It's just Unity yet again partnering with another company that has nothing to do with games. This is barely news at this point, considering how that's basically the majority of what Unity does now.

angrypenguin and pm007 like this.
  22. Ryiah

Ryiah

Maybe not directly but there is more to supporting game developers than just creating an engine. Unity has many services that they need to support in addition to creating and managing but how much they can support them is limited by their approximately 5,000 employees. Capgemini's more than 340,000 can provide a great deal more.

That said you're correct it's barely news but for a different reason. This is not a merger but a partnership. Unity has many of these with other companies. Unity partners with Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, etc. This is just public acknowledgement that they're working together.

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I think it's just for Unity to find more enterprise customers, I don't think it's our business. That's my only logical take.

24. Murgilod

Murgilod

Sure, but I don't think this will ever manifest anything about games at all. This is entirely enterprise focused.

stain2319 likes this.
  25. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

Very true, but indies are B2B as well. Yes, not each and every indie developer is a business, but many are.

26. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Capgemini is a known thing. Even my large employer from another industry works with them for ages. They offer tons of various services. Definitely enterprise focused. For us they lend workforce in some projects and manage the external git (+ CI) server infrastructure hosted at a 3rd company due to weird project policies.
    Our experiences with them were okay though, except a bit "stiff" as it's typical for such process-driven B2B stuff..

Edit: Didn't know they even provided internet in some countries, lol.
    An even more extreme example for a company that tries out everything, than Unity xP

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  27. aras-p

aras-p

Unity Legend

Unity has lots of partnerships with lots of companies (this one is not "merger/acquisition" of any sort). Some of them are involved, some of them is little more than "we'll post a social media post about you, and you will post about us". I would not give this particular partnership any thought, unless you know what Capgemini is or you know that it might affect you in some way. For 99% of us, it does not.

What is a bit sad, is that a lot of Unity's communication is about these "biz" types of things, and much less is about technology of the "game engine" part of the business. There are some (on the official blog, there's "material variants" post just a few days ago, and a yaml-related post a week ago). But most of the comms are about something else. Maybe that's fine and par of the course. I wish there was a blog/page/twitter account that is purely "unity game engine technology" focused. There's lots of work & investment actually happening in the engine area, but the PR almost make it sound like there's none.

Moonjump, Enzi, angrypenguin and 14 others like this.
  28. Murgilod

Murgilod

At this point I don't even bother with the blog because it's either corporate promotion (faces of unity, a thinly veiled ad for some service that unity has acquired, announcement of mergers or acquisition) and extremely, scarcely something about the engine itself. I was genuinely shocked to see the material variants and YAML stuff.

29. stain2319

stain2319

I work for one of the companies on this list. I've worked with them and never had an issue with services provided by CapGemini. HCL, now that's another story...

30. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

In that case, since UT started growing that big I think it would be a good idea to just start thinking of creating divisions in the company, setup the engine division and leave these other stuff in their own divisions.

Their only communication channel that I follow is their YT channel and they barely post it there, and when they do it's not about the engine, maybe sometimes, like yesterday they posted about some new learning material which is more or less about the engine? I guess?

Either way, I just came to a point where I just don't care of what Unity is working on anymore, we will just use what we have at hands at the company and on my personal projects and make my own tools when needed, of course I will still be at the forums complaining about the roadblocking bugs. :p

31. derkoi

derkoi

I miss the old days, when all we had to worry about was when the new ui system would be released. :D

Rodolfo-Rubens, andyz and stain2319 like this.
  32. andyz

andyz

Yep, when/if UI toolkit becomes the best choice for runtime is far more important than this!!
    When did moderators start talking trash?

derkoi likes this.
  33. Murgilod

Murgilod

When Unity spent half a decade focusing more and more on enterprise, archviz, rt3d, and a bunch of other things that don't benefit the games side of the engine while game-related features completely languished.

Rodolfo-Rubens and derkoi like this.
unityunity