Search Unity

Another Unity Juggernaught just made the list :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darkjayson, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Darkjayson

Darkjayson

Well the devs behind PlaneScape Torment just started a $900k kickstarter to make a spiritual sequel, basically the same type of game but new story and characters due to IP issues and well 7 hours later it it got funded and now its past 1 million dollars and if you have not guessed there making it in Unity.

So if any of the guys read this as they might congratulations guys.

Its very good that a lot of high profile games are using unity now, the more people that use it the better it gets as more money is funded into its development.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera

2. SevenBits

SevenBits

Never even heard of any of their other games. :(

But, they met their kickstarter goal. That's impressive.

3. 121

It's up to 1.7 mill. What will they do with all that cash? Pay themselves a wage?

4. khanstruct

khanstruct

$1.7 million in 1 day!? wtf!?

5. Kryger

Kryger

Planescape: Torment always had the most devoted fans. It's got something to do with the writing in the game. It would not suprise me if it keeps going like that until 10-20 million and then abruptly stops after literally all the fans of the original have pledged. The game didn't sell too well originally though.

6. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I guess the people talking about kickstarter fatigue are simply wrong.

7. yls

yls

Kryguer ? Was is it about the writing of the game ?

8. wccrawford

wccrawford

Not entirely. I've backed 113 projects so far, and I'm less likely to back a project now than when the craze started. Big obvious ones like this aren't a hard decision, but things like Awakened are. A year ago, I'd have back Awakened without thinking about it.

But I still back small projects if I'm really interested in them, and I think they can pull it off. So it's not really fatigue so much as having the shinyness worn off.

9. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I considered backing Awakened until I saw their incredibly bland gameplay demos and noticed their weird focus on mods instead of delivering a core experience.

10. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

its unbelievable how many part with their money in hope of a great idea...

11. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Fixed that there for you. :)

12. khanstruct

khanstruct

Exactly. No one gives a damn about a great idea.

13. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Funded in 7hours, Incredible. Not seen the kickstarter but ill check it out.

14. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

You know, that is actually odd. I am shocked they got such a huge founding so fast. Almost sounds like a Kickstarter record... how did they spread the word so fast?

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

People are screaming for old-fashioned RPG games. Glad to see there's a way they can be made again.

16. wccrawford

wccrawford

They sent an email to everyone who pledged to Wasteland 2.

Reddit picked that up immediately (within 30 minutes) and at the 30 minute mark, they were already at 10%. (Based on time of first comment.)

They also prepped everyone by telling them a couple months ago that they had obtained the Torment IP and that they were going to make a game with it.

17. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

What I find so staggering about this kickstarter is the number of very high pledge backers, such as 7 at $10k level! Even at more moderate levels such as $500 it still has over 250 backers. That really is an amazing commitment from people, though even then the $500-$10,000 backers only account for $250k of the $1.7 million total.

I mean its pretty understandable that people love to give their support to a project/game and that sometimes the value they gain can mean they are happy to invest way more than a normal gamer would pay for the game, but when you get to $500+, that is really commitment.

Will be interesting to see if it can continue anything like this level of investment for the next few days, or if this is basically it and it just dribbles along to the end of the deadline now.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  18. Ocid

Ocid

Have you been living under a rock?

It got so much funding so quickly because Planescape Torment is widely regarded as one best CRPGs theres been. They were also smart enough to announce it in advance and got coverage from almost every website that has any interest in covering games.

19. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

that wasteland 2 gameplay demo looks pretty awesome

20. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

Adding to this. Planescape is also a world from TSR's advanced dungeons and dragons table top game. In fact, I happen to own the original box set campaign - pretty cool stuff inside.

21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Indeed. They didn't get the word out fast, they just didn't start the Kickstarter until the word was already well and truly out.

Like most so-called "overnight successes", in reality it took a whole load longer than one night.

22. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Considering that some fans of the original and its similar games still replay them to this day, over a decade after their release, is a pretty sure sign of their value to these people. To be honest, I'd happily put down $500 for something if I knew I'd still be getting entertained by it in new ways more than 10 years from now...

23. khanstruct

khanstruct

Not to necro-post or anything, but Torment just set a record for games on Kickstarter. To fuel my jealousy, they've signed on best selling author, Pat Rothfuss to write the storyline.

Pat is from my town! I knew him before he was famous! We had coffee together! I printed the original manuscript for the Name of the Wind for him! grr

Well, congrats to these guys.