Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Another SlowTree bug

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by o1o101, Jun 12, 2016.

1. o1o101

o1o101

If there wasnt enough already, another bug.... when you are a certain distance from a tree, the trunk of the tree stops taking the hue variation into account. I will file the report or whatever. I am so close to ditching SpeedTree all together. Here are a couple screenshots to explain.

Hue variation is working... and then, once you are closer.. it stops.
    upload_2016-6-12_15-36-35.png upload_2016-6-12_15-36-56.png

MrEsquire likes this.
  2. o1o101

o1o101

Also, credits to @hippocoder for accurate name....

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't understand?

o1o101 likes this.
  4. o1o101

o1o101

SlowTree...... haha

upload_2016-6-12_16-13-12.png

Dreamaster likes this.
  5. zeroyao

zeroyao

Unity Technologies

Let me know the case number and I'll take a look.

6. o1o101

o1o101

Hey again, thanks for the reply again! This happens in a empty project and a SpeedTree, so I didn't expect to have to submit a bug report, however I will in the morning. Thanks!

7. Dannyoakes

Dannyoakes

Hey Deverolirc,

Is the image on the left the billboard?

Thanks!

8. o1o101

o1o101

Hey Danny, sorry for the rant.... No, they are both the mesh trees, for some reason depending on the distance, the trunk material goes back and forth between having hue variation and not having it.

9. Dannyoakes

Dannyoakes

No worries, Is "Hue Variation" checked at each LOD? (Just click on each LOD to change settings)

upload_2016-6-14_16-43-28.png

10. o1o101

o1o101

Yea it is, I am actually only using LOD1 and the billboard.

11. o1o101

o1o101

I forgot to ask, are there any plans for updating the smooth LOD, it does not work properly on many mobile devices. Also, is it a known problem that the mesh versions of the tree leaves do not batch whatsoever? Thanks!

12. zeroyao

zeroyao

Unity Technologies

Smooth LOD works well in our tests and my personal scene setup. Again if you think it is a bug please do report it to us, or if that's urgent you can always DM me, both with your scene attached.
    Currently trees won't get batched, because the wind animation code requires vertices to be in model space.

o1o101 likes this.
  13. o1o101

o1o101

Hey Zeroyao, it's really great getting all this information, not knowing why things are not batching is frustrating, so I greatly appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me. As for the trees not batching, even with wind set to "None" why are the vertices required to be in model space? I'm working on a mobile project with a deadline, which is utilizing SpeedTree, that is why I am a bit naggy about it. My main problems are that, since mesh trees do not batch, it requires me to only render the mesh trees once you are very close, which is fine, because its barley noticeable after the billboards being tweaked and the Smooth LOD working correctly, however, when the Smooth LOD does not work on some most phones, its quite a big noticeable issue. If the mesh trees were being batched, that would solve all of my problems, because I would be able to render the mesh trees at a greater distance,(which would batch) forget about Smooth LOD all together and maintain performance. Is there any way at all that this code could be changed? I am in desperate need for a fix, so I am willing to do anything I can to get these batching! Is it in the shader? Would it be possible to edit the shader or the behind the scenes code? I really hope that there is a way to change this.

Thanks again

14. o1o101

o1o101

Hey @zeroyao did you see this last post?
    Thanks!

15. zeroyao

zeroyao

Unity Technologies

It seems that you are quite reluctant in providing us a repro case... Nevertheless our QA engineer has tried some basic setup but none of your reported issues are reproducible on our side.

16. o1o101

o1o101

Hey zeroyao, I have done bug reports but they just consist of the same thing, it's simply a SpeedTree in an empty scene so I expected they were known bugs. However I do use custom prefabs and do not use LOD 0 which could be part of the problem of the hue variation. From what you have told me It seems that the billboard
    batching is as good as it will be now. The other little bugs such as the hue concern me the least. The biggest thing for me is having better performance, you confirmed that the mesh trees do not batch which seems like a huge problem to me, especially considering the trees use 2-4 materials. So if there was a way to fix batching on the mesh trees that would solve 90% of my problems!

17. zeroyao

zeroyao

Unity Technologies

They are not known bugs, none of them is, otherwise we'll fix it asap. If you have done reporting, what is the case number? I want to see how hue variation and smooth LOD breaks.

Performance wise, I think if you disable all Wind objects in your scene and disable smooth LOD transition on SpeedTrees you'll see them batched with Dynamic batching, which I guess only provides a tiny improvement on the draw call count. Otherwise, not too much I can help with in 5.4 cycle.

I also have to say that this forum is mostly for communicating and giving feedback on 5.4 features. I don't mind occasionally people shouts about bugs, especially if it caused great troubles to them. But still, bug reporting and urging for a fix SHOULD be done via bug reports. I'll look at your case, if you managed to tell me a case number, or you can DM me (it seems I can't start a private conversation with you. Your settings?), otherwise I'll ignore this thread from now on.