Search Unity

Another Black Friday sale another broken website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hallsofvalhalla, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Hallsofvalhalla

Hallsofvalhalla

How many years in a row are you going for here? I cannot check out or buy anything. Website is dirt slow. Cart keeps spinning or shows empty.

upload_2022-11-14_10-36-33.png

2. neilw711

neilw711

dannyalgorithmic likes this.
  3. dannyalgorithmic

dannyalgorithmic

This needs to be addressed ASAP

4. AlleywayDave

AlleywayDave

The entire subscription system of Unity is down also. Unity is having bad problems today.

5. neilw711

neilw711

I've never seen Unity act like this which is odd. They aren't communicating with anyone as well. No tweets or anything. I had to use third party websites that track whether it's down or not.

vladibalan likes this.
  6. Hallsofvalhalla

Hallsofvalhalla

You missed last years sale. It was TERRIBLE.

vladibalan likes this.
  7. neilw711

neilw711

I'm always there during sales, you can count on that lol. I don't remember this happening. Maybe I was like a day late or something? I'm early this year though :D

8. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Not too fun for users but unfortunately it would just not a smart business decision to provide the capacity to handle those masses of requests that only occur a couple days per year. The servers would be unused most of the rest of the year...
    Admittedly they could do better on separating the services so that load on one does not pull down other things.

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

This has been a solvable problem for well over a decade. There are multiple scalable compute platforms for exactly this kind of situation.

10. halley

halley

Let's not invest in a scalable architecture! Let's also encourage nonlinear crowd behavior like flash sales!

For a few hours they knew my previous purchases but didn't know my asset list nor my favorite list, so I definitely didn't even try to purchase those things I have been waiting for.

Oh, and don't forget keeping the sale pricing straight.

vladibalan and Ryiah like this.
  11. pk_Holzbaum

pk_Holzbaum

This time I don't think that the issue with flash deals is that bad. The price stays at 70% for a whole day. So there is no reason to try to be the first and there is also no danger of clicking on a 90% discount but only getting 70% at checkout.
    And as people realize that they have 24 hours for their purchases I think the load should distribute a bit more evenly.

Of course it would still be better if everything was more scalable and there wouldn't be any issues (I didn't have any issues so far), but I still think this is an improvement over the last few flash deals.

vladibalan, Ryiah and angrypenguin like this.
  12. Ryiah

Ryiah

One of the main benefits of cloud services is being able to provision and de-provision resources on demand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elasticity_(cloud_computing)

13. LuiBroDood

LuiBroDood

yeah last year they had timed sales of 90% off and i feel like someone was DDossing them to pick up the 90% off deals

...or there was just that many people.. i guess more likely lols

iam glad its 24hrs now , they learned how crap the last year thing was