Search Unity

Another Beat Detection library :( ...but wait it's actually works!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ytrew, Dec 29, 2015.

?

Would you purchase this asset?

1. Yes

20.0%
  2. No

20.0%
  3. Maybe

60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ytrew

ytrew

Just gauging interest here.

So what's the current issue with the beat detection libraries of today?
    1. Typically, onset detection parses the audio spectrum data, finds the most prominent frequency and boom, you get your beat. Maybe it has a moving average that allows passing of the prominent frequency if it's above that average… Maybe not.
    2. Typical frequency buckets are based on window size, so smaller windows means reduced quality. Larger windows are better quality but still, you only get the most prominent frequency.
    3. Event driven beat detection is currently not done right. Why parse the entire range of spectrum data only to provide 3 to 5 buckets? There are so many complex sounds going on in any given song so a generalized approach leaves much to be desired. Do yourself a favor, listen to Flux Pavilions Bass Cannon, when the base hits...typical spectral analyzers will be washed out and provided nothing but that ~51 Hz sweet base drop...losing the high notes and other flavors that make the track interesting.
    The solution I am proposing is more about management and the handling of the spectrum data, with a focus on making it easier to create meaningful actions from spectral data. This per frequency bucket event driven beat detection does just that. What I am proposing provides a Base 10, Octave Interval Supported of: 1, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1/6, 1/12, 1/24, 1/48. Which provides a diverse data set based on the interval selected giving anywhere from 11 to 241 ACTIVE buckets! Also, giving you the ability to parse and visualize spectrum data beforehand, which highlights most active buckets. So you can selectively register for callbacks on the events you’d like to see. Not to mention this solution has minimal impact performance running at 60+ fps.

Anyway, here a small vid on what to expect (currently in Alpha) and adding more features for robustness :)

Note: the current sample uses a butterworth low-pass filter to filter out the higher frequencies. Enjoy, and please let me know what you think!

2. DHARMAKAYA

DHARMAKAYA

Hi,

Saw the vid and then found this. So...yes...would consider purchasing it IF it is priced affordably. AND ACTUALLY DOES BEAT DETECTION...THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR MAKING IT AVAILABLE TO ME ASAP!