Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Anonymous analytics data mode

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Nodrap, Mar 12, 2024.

1. Nodrap

Nodrap

With the ever increasing issue of data privacy, and the various regional laws that we need to comply with, it is becoming increasingly difficult for a small developer to set up a system that is fully compliant.
    And if we want to create a small game that just has analytics for gameplay mechanics, such as tracking level progress or retries, it seems that the UGS Analytics doesn't provide an anonymous option. This is a really important issue and the lack of such an option only encourages people to ignore this issue and deliver products that are not compliant.
    Please consider adding a truly anonymous option that allows for custom events and basic data such as session time separate from any userID. From this we can still infer a lot of useful infromation to make our games better. I imagine it may be difficult to update the analytics portal to have a separate anonymous section (which would be the ideal) and so I propose that there is a single special userID (=0) used for all installations. This does make me wonder if setting the userID myself to a fixed value would suffice but I am sure this won't be enough to be fully compliant, but do let me know if this would.