Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Annoying little bug

Discussion in '2022.1 Beta' started by unityptd, Feb 12, 2022.

1. unityptd

unityptd

The top of the Unity window still says "2022.1.0b3.2825 <METAL>" even though it's a silicon install.

Can we get this fixed? I have several versions installed and every time I see this I'm like do I have the right one running? Yep, it's Silicon.

2. Phil_Z

Phil_Z

Unity Technologies

Hi!

<METAL> means that the Editor is using the Metal graphics API https://developer.apple.com/metal/

If you are using an older Intel Mac, you will always be running the Intel Editor, because the Apple silicon version will not run.

On the newer M1 macs, if you are running the Intel version of the editor, it will add <Rosetta> to the title bar to show that it is running the Intel version of the Editor under the Rosetta translation layer.

Editor versions older than 2021.2 will always be running under Rosetta on Apple silicon.

LeonhardP likes this.
  3. unityptd

unityptd

That's pretty confusing. I have a brand new M1. There's literally nothing "Metal" about this machine.

4. ScottyB

ScottyB

"Metal" is the graphics API in use, which is definitely used by any M1 devices as Apple deprecated all other graphics APIs.