Search Unity

Annoying fix? Collapsing a large child hierarchy in the inspector not logical workflow....

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Unlimited_Energy, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Unlimited_Energy

Unlimited_Energy

Is there any way to change the way an item collapses int eh hierarchy. After spending 5 plus years in Unity I find it super annoying that instead of keeping the position of the object I am collapsing in the hierarchy and moving every thing else up twords it like it normal behaves, if you scroll down at all in the Hierarchy after expanding a Objects large child hierarchy and then attempt to collapse it again, you totally loose your place and im like WTF did the parent object I had elected and collapsed all children under it go?

This is only an issue with a large child hierarchy object and only after or if the inspector hierarchy expands enough that it creates a scroll-able area and only after you scroll down and I realize this is a result of it removing the scroll-able area after it collapses, but it does not heighlight the objects root parent you collapsed and instead nothing is selected.

I understand you shouldn't have large hierarchys but it is quit annoying that it dose not highlight that object you collapse by default, or at least temporarily "flash highlight and fade" what was just collapsed. When you have a main hierarchy that's already 100+ objects long, refinding where the root parent in the hierarchy you were working with is slightly annoying.

2. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

Giving this a bump because it's suddenly become a very large headache for me! I'm writing some DOTS authoring components that have deeply nested lists, and collapsing one can completely fling my view away from where it ought to be.

Perhaps an editor script could help here? I'm not sure if you could even detect a collapse, though.

I guess I can try using scriptable objects to replace structs, but this is per-prefab configuration, so it doesn't make much sense to do that...