Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Announcing Unity 3.0! iPad, Android and PlayStation!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Mar 8, 2010.

1. kr1stov

kr1stov

Hey there. I'm really excited about Unity 3 coming out soon. Also played around with Unity iPhone 1.7 trial and will probably buy the license. Great work!

My question: If I'm buying Unity iPhone 1.7 licence now will I have to pay extra for version 3 upgrade? Will there be a combined Unity for all plattforms or will Unity iPhone be updated apart from Unity for PC, Mac,... etc.

Thanks in advance best regards
    Chris

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

you can't buy iphone 1.7 licenses anymore at all. if you buy now its a prebuy of unity iphone 3 with a key to use on iphone 1.7 for the time being.

the editor is unified for all platforms but that does not mean that there won't be distinct updates to the "player" on the various platforms. Anything else wouldn't make any sense as they are handled by distinct teams.

also unity iphone can only be used on osx, the target is unavailable on windows

shreyamathur651 likes this.
  3. zumwalt

zumwalt

Also, I have seen many people asking when iPhone for Unity will compile on the PC, well, iPhone will never compile on a PC unless they make XCode for the PC with the iPhone SDK from Apple, that said, if you want that, contact Apple and have them make a PC version of XCode with an iPhone SDK for the PC, I am sure Apple will be more than happy to supply that type of program.....

shreyamathur651 likes this.
  4. destruct007

destruct007

Ah so the final compile is done via the apple dev kit? Can one install the dev kit on a mac and unity on a PC and only have the inconvenience of file transfers for iPhone games?

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

No you can't

Unity iPhone project target and remote is OSX only, no support on Windows at all.

And yes, all device and debug related stuff is done through apples iphone sdk

6. destruct007

destruct007

oh... Crap. hah, well, thanks for the response! Appreciate it.

7. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

@destruct007
    it's not that hard to port projects. we sold several projects to iphone developers to port. we made those games for them using our PCs and then we got them and changed imputs and some other minor changes to make it run correctly on the iphone. for example touch phases and ... should be done on the iphone platform.
    if you buy android license, it will be easier to port android apps to iphone apps.
    coding for the iphone is so limited and you should think about things that you did not before. take a look at
    http://answers.unity3d.com/question...of-re-writing-or-porting-a-game-to-the-iphone
    unity answers is really a good service. i want to recommend all users to register in it and use it. currently there are less than 3000 people there.

8. destruct007

destruct007

Thanks a lot ashkan. That's really helpful!

9. frooze

frooze

I believe Airplay SDK lets you deploy to iPhone on a windows PC..

http://www.airplaysdk.com/docs.php#/deploy/deploymentguides/iosguide.html

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

what they let and don't let you do is up to them. that being said, for me the sdk would first have to build at all to be considered serious ... also I would work with oolong 10 times earlier than even touching airplay a second time ... 500mb, hard to deinstall, if you just remove the library folder hell will break lose -> sux like hell

none the less you are breaking your dev contract and every middleware developer doing that is risking to be just locked out from the appstore, that trivial it is

11. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

@destruct007 your welcome man!

at least supporting unity remote for the iphone on windows could be a big plus. even it can allow us to use the api without getting errors and then port the project to an iphone project later. shiva3d has this capability. i know that for big project, you should be on a mac to test everything soon but having this features on windows can be good.

12. jediknight846

jediknight846

PS3, will it be with the free version, with the pro version or it's own version? Will there be PS2? Will I have to buy a license like the Wii version? I have the same questions on the 360.

13. Dreamora

Dreamora

From what mentioned in other places, they will be a pro addon license comparable to the Wii one, so per title licensed to licensed console developers with corresponding prices for console licenses ( the wii licensing should give you a feeling for what you will have to pay at very least)

you will definitely not get them as part of the regular licenses though, the normal unity one only covers windows, osx and webplayer, any other platform comes as addon license.

14. Backman

Backman

Please add .XRNS file support! Seeing as you went down the .xm and .mod route it only makes sense. Renoise has been the new tracker king for a while now (and can't export to .xm and .mod (but does read it)). :D

Cant wait for the release..

15. Dreamora

Dreamora

xm and mod are formats supported by FMOD, they were not added explicitely (If fmod wouldn't support them I would be willing to bet that they would not have happened actually)

16. jashan

jashan

As dreamora said: whatever FMOD has, Unity 3 has. I haven't looked too deep into it but since Renoise also supports VST-plugins I'm not sure how well this would go with FMOD at all.

Basically, if XRNS as a format supports VST-plugins, I don't think this will ever be fully supported by FMOD or Unity because you don't want to have your players need to install 3rd party software just to make sure your game music is running (even though this may be an interesting feature for special music installations using Unity ... but it's just too esoteric, so if you want that, you'd probably rather write a C++ plugin which makes Unity control some sequencer like Cubase or Logic or Renoise if you so wish) ;-)

17. Backman

Backman

Hmm... yeah you're probably right. Tried to quickly find a list of supported formats for FMOD but no luck from my brief search. The Renoise format does support VST's and VSTi's indeed so maybe I'm out of luck, or just need to find a converter. :/ Thanks!

18. ahloyan

ahloyan

out with it already..its been a long wait already

19. yvesbodson

yvesbodson

I just bought 2 license and I would like to start to work with the beta
    IS there a link to download it ?
    Thanks
    yves

20. conner_bw

conner_bw

FYI, there is a 3rd party tool that converts XRNS to MOD/XM, here:

http://xrns2xmod.codeplex.com/

The problem with supporting XRNS is that Renoise is complicated. It's tracker in interface only. The format, although open, is similar to that of GarageBand.

To support Renoise you'd have to support all the effects, parameters, controls... Basically you'd have to rewrite most of Renoise.

There was an interesting talk at Assembly 2010 which shows how you can do "Clever Synchronization" using Renoise with "games" (demos).

http://soledadpenades.com/2010/08/07/using-and-abusing-renoise-as-a-demosequencer/

In general, exporting the XRNS into something like an AIFF or MP3 is the way to go.

Good times.

21. Dreamora

Dreamora

yes there is, you will get it within a workday or two normally from what last mentioned

22. 3dDude

3dDude

do you have a release date yet?

looks awesome!!!!!!! :D

23. Dreamora

Dreamora

No, just really soon according the latest newsletter from yesterday or so

24. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

We're trying hard to finish it.

25. moonman

moonman

Sorta off topic, but whats it like being the Unity Graphics Developer?

26. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I get to compute dot products all day long!

27. 3dDude

3dDude

no rush :D

28. 7089yUu

7089yUu

You're still doing the .01 scale factor thing for FBX? Seriously? I have to continue to do a custom export script to have my Maya scene in meters? Why in the world is scale factor not 1?

29. Dreamora

Dreamora

Would guess cause autodesk still is too stupid to make 1 world unit = 1 SI standard unit (ie meter, not centimeter). Due to this fault over there, your models are exported 100 times as large as they are meant to be.

30. Peter G

Peter G

Honestly, I'm just thankful they're not in English Units, yards, feet, inches, etc. Then the math would just be awful. 1 yard = .9144 meters = 91.44 cm.

31. Dreamora

Dreamora

hehe indeed, it could be worse :)

32. 7089yUu

7089yUu

Are you talking about Max? In Maya there aren't SI units.

My process:
    1. Maya units = meters
    2. Make a 1 unit cube with scale transform = 1.0
    2. Export FBX with options: units = meters, scale factor = 1.0.
    3. Drop the FBX into the Unity scene and the scale factor = .01 and scale transform = .01.
    4. Changing the Unity scale factor to 1.0 for the asset makes it the correct scale but the transform scale is still 1.0.

I expect that my asset in Unity will have a scale factor = 1.0 and a transform scale = 1.0. I don't see how Autodesk is at fault here..

I'm guessing at some point Unity's base units changed by a factor of 100 and they wanted to maintain backwards compatibility for old scenes? If this is the case then it's time to make things consistent once and for all.

33. Dreamora

Dreamora

FBX is autodesks format

question is why you output fbx if you could use the native file format in which case such autohandling wouldn't apply there there only to compensate for a common problem (max)

with that being said: I would vote what people have asked for since 2.1 if not earlier: default import settings for any asset type that are used.
    But as most others I know how easy it would be to do that with a trivial asset import handling script on the other end :)

34. 7089yUu

7089yUu

I was under the assumption that Unity units were in meters; I see now that they are centimeters. This would be good information to list in the manual! Should be on the "Meshes" page and the "Importing Objects From Maya" page. While Unity is extremely easy to work with in general, it's a bit lacking in the "workflow" documentation.

Exporting a Maya ASCII in centimeters results in a 1:1 relationship with Maya and Unity. However, a FBX in centimeters still has the .01 scale factor that has to be changed, but at least the FBX scale transform is 1.0 when exporting as centimeters from a centimeters Maya file. Given that I can import both the ASCII and the FBX into the original Maya scene and everything is correct, I don't buy the argument that the problem is with Autodesk.

I was using FBX I guess because media embedding and animation baking seemed convenient, but maybe they aren't worth it? I'm also wondering the best practice workflow to share textures automatically between materials and models so there is only one texture in memory. Should the import setting for materials be "Per Texture" or "Per Material"?

I would heartily agree that per-project import settings are a no-brainer and should have been added a long time ago. Also, the project settings in general should be a series of drop down tabs instead of having to repeatedly select "Edit > Project Settings > Player"..."Edit > Project Settings > Quality", etc.

35. StarManta

StarManta

Actually, there's no "official" definition of what a unit is in Unity, which is why the manual doesn't mention it. The only place it matters is in gravity, which is set to 9.8 (so, if there is any official equivalent, it is indeed meters. But you can easily change gravity...) The units (both length and mass) can be anything you choose, just as long as it's consistent.

36. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Unity units are just units. By default (such as gravity settings) they are meters, but can be whatever you want.

--Eric

37. 7089yUu

7089yUu

Yeah, I know all that. An "official unit" is whatever creates a 1:1 relationship between your DCC tool and your engine. In the case of Maya and Unity, this unit appears to be centimeters.

You do raise a good point by bringing up gravity that I'd love to hear an answer for from someone at Unity... Should gravity be 980 for cm based assets? I'll continue further conversation elsewhere 'cause this thread is veering pretty far off topic.

38. Dreamora

Dreamora

with stuff that relates to movement and collision, scaling up is generally a top class no go idea, cause the more force you put in, the thicker your colliders must become to prevent "teleport through", or you will require unreasably high iteration counts for physics resolution

39. Waz

Waz

I can't seem to get the Beast lightmapping to honour normalmaps (bumpmaps) - once I enable lightmaps, all surfaces of static objects become flat. Lightmapping seems rather less useful if it can't be used with normalmapped surfaces.

So I'm sure I must have missed something - but what?

40. chrisk

chrisk

Sorry for posting a message here.
    I think it's the most appropriate thread to ask 3.0 related question.

I would like to ask for help from 3.0 users to see if this bug has been fixed.

Basically, I would like to Unity as a render inside of my app, written in WinForm.

http://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/...-use-unity-activex-control-in-non-b?ref=title

and here,
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=30196

Downloadable source code, http://forum.unity3d.com/download.php?id=9498

Unity told us that it is fixed in 2.6 but it was never fixed and I'm dying to know if things are changed in 3.0.

Thanks for your help.

-chris

41. liquidgraph

liquidgraph

Will Unity 3 iPhone Basic support .NET sockets or is that still as Pro-only feature?

42. Dreamora

Dreamora

pro only. non pro only has unity networking

43. Pulov

Pulov

Regarding the FBX import...

Any new features on unity 3? I've not read much, I might have lost something.

I'm behind-->

3dmax instanced objets---> instances of a prefabs in unity.

3d max polyline---> spline in unity.

And about the units.. I do work in meters in 3dmax and when I do export if the scale is not changed I understand they should keep on the same units.

44. Dreamora

Dreamora

The import features haven't changed to my knowledge.

45. Noesis Joel

Noesis Joel

46. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

To get the Playsstation 3 format it cost 80,000. Great deal for us indys... maybe I could just sign over my house?

How come they don't just split royalties, unless most people on here have 80k to burn before PR.

47. zumwalt

zumwalt

Unity license for PS3 export is nothing compared to all the rest of the stuff you have to get.

48. Dreamora

Dreamora

Because 25% of $0 are still $0?
    Also royalities don't get you onto consoles anyway, you need to have the required financial stability to develop a game and fullfill your duties on NDA and paying the approval steps to even get a license, which you won't if you don't have $200k+ and a real business location.

Home coders spread around the globe don't stand a chance to get a dev license at all so nothing to worry about unity console licenses right from the start

49. Simba

Simba

OK, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, as I don''t have 2+ days to spare for reading old comments ...

My PPC mac won't install Unity 3. I'm kinda upset about this, 'cause I'm missing all the fun :) Are PPCs no longer supported?
    Or is it that I've just downloaded a bad copy?

If it's just not supported, I'll stick with 2.6. :(

50. Dreamora

Dreamora

Correct, PPC is no longer supported for the Editor.
    Builds can still run on PPC though.