Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Announcing Unity 3.0! iPad, Android and PlayStation!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Mar 8, 2010.

1. web76

web76

But is the physics hardware accelerated?

2. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Not sure that there was ever a cylinder collider in 2.x versions.

3. PolyMad

PolyMad

That's why I asked, because I hoped they introduced it in U3.

4. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

A cylinder collider would have been cool.

Really cool.

Really really cool.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

no

hw accelerated physics is a Windows, NVIDIA DX10 gpu only thing and requires ALL (independent on if they have support or not) to install the physx driver -> not acceptable in any way, especially not with the webplayer in mind.

also for the features used its not required, the much faster and much better multi core physics performance of physx 2.8.3 is definitely a large enough step ahead :)

6. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

cylinder colliders surely a cool feature and they are not that hard to add even in these late days! still there is some hope for them but i think it would be alot nicer if all features like softbodies and fluid were available.
    there are other missing features that they are important too.
    in game HTML gui (for ads)
    AI library, networking/MMO features.
    and lots more. the good point is that unity will do the best as always!

7. Moonjump

Moonjump

I'm glad I'm not the only one wanting a cylinder collider. I posted on the Wish List forum a few days ago with that exact request.

8. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

9. Moonjump

Moonjump

Thanks for the link, done. Hopefully I will get some votes for a cylinder collider.

10. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

post the link of your request here for others to click on it and vote for it. programmers are la...
    they might don't go to feedback and search for it. i don't know hwy UT don't take back our tickets but currently i am out of them. many of the features that i voted for are complete or started but my tickets are there yet.

11. PolyMad

PolyMad

You can recover your votes easily, just reclick vote and click 0 :)

12. voidmaystorm

voidmaystorm

hi,

i preordered 3.0 with iphone basic some days ago, does anybody know: did unityguys give any information, when the betas will be shipped?

i know that there have already betas been shipped, but only to the guys who had preordered immediately...

so, the plan was that unity3.0 will be released "in summer".
    any chance i´ll get a beta-build _before_ 3.0 final will be released?
    ;-)

thx, greetings
    thomas

13. web76

web76

For our simulator, the physics are not fast enough, we try to drive cranes all physics, that handles chains, and wires....even more physics..

So it would have been nice to have the option, for us windows users, with nvidia cards...

Web76

Attached Files:

14. Dreamora

Dreamora

there is no possibility to make it optional. either you use it or you don't, you can't switch it on and off.

15. flim

flim

What is the exact end day of pre-order?

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

When it's done.

--Eric

17. n0mad

n0mad

Didn't have the time to seek the answer on beta, but will there be any kind of project packaging management?
    example : with unified editor, I decide to centralize all my games on my Windows 7.
    Then I want to deploy all my target platforms.
    PC Build : check.
    Web build : check.
    Android build : check.
    iPhone build : d'oh! Here we go with 30 minutes of packing, exporting on the mac, unpacking, asset tuning, build checking, and finally... Deploying on my iPhone.

*ohnoes, this asset is missing*
    Back on the Pc, pack unpack etc. ..

See what I mean? ;-)

A one click exporting tool would be cool. Unless there was already one in previous versions that I didn't see? :roll:

18. jashan

jashan

I'm not perfectly sure I understand your question ... but I think there are two solutions:

A) Asset Server
    B) Build scripts

E.g. for Traces of Illumination, what I do to build all the different versions (different Web players, different standalones for actual "game", "masterclient", "loadtesters" ... and of course "server" and Dashboard Widgets) is one shell script that runs on my Mac, applies all the changes via Editor scripts running in Unity -batchmode, doing the builds and packaging everything nicely into ZIP-files.

Obviously, I haven't tested this for iPhone and would expect that it doesn't work as smoothly as I'd like ;-)

19. n0mad

n0mad

Sounds neat :D
    But I meant something simpler : just on-the-fly passing a whole project from Windows to MacOS, just for the iPhone XCode export job (as MacOS is required for iPhone Unity building). You know, some kind of "compress project to package" menu that would save all the asset checking, zipping, folder deploying etc..

20. cannon

cannon

Another vote for Build scripts. Not sure how it works on iPhone but it works well for everything else.

One note: I've found that where possible, it's easier to make Macs the central build server because of the built-in underlying Unix shell.

21. jashan

jashan

I see what you mean ... but for that, I really find the Asset Server the most convenient approach. I wouldn't work without version control anyways - and if you want to work on Windows and build on Mac, all you need to do is check in on Windows and Update on the Mac. That saves you from compressing a couple of Gigs and moving it around all the time. All you update is what has changed.

Of course, Asset Server requires Unity Pro and adds another few hundred bucks ... but I think it's worth it (if you ever changed a code file and broke and then wondered "well, how did I implement that before when it still worked", you'll never want to work without version control again ... even if you're working on your project alone ;-) ).

22. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

we preOrdered yesterday. is it possible to get betas even now? i think the release date is near and we will se it in early aug.

23. n0mad

n0mad

ok thanks for the tip ;)

24. pixelthis

pixelthis

Sorry if this has been answered 1000s of times before, but it is not obvious from the product pages-

Will the Unity 3 pro editor be available on PC also, or on Mac only? Or is it some sort of combination (e.g. on PC without iPhone support, and on Mac with everything)?

25. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unity 3 and Unity 3 Pro are available work on windows and osx and can create standalone applications for windows and osx as well as web deployment.

any other platform must be bought at an additional addon cost (this includes iphone, android and the consoles). Depending on the license you want to buy, this requires unity 3 pro to do so (iphone pro, android pro, all console licenses, asset server client addon)

Special here is iphone which will only work with the Unity 3 / Unity 3 Pro editor on osx, you can't select iphone as project type on windows.

So the unified editor has not changed anything with U3, still works the same as with unity 2.x :) Its now just in 1 editor.

26. n0mad

n0mad

Argh, now that answers to my question of which OS base should I look for my laptop renewal... Too bad, MacBook Pro are so expensive :cry:
    3000 euros for a decent 17" mobile workstation, against 1500 for the latest windows 7 based Asus... Which is even outerforming its MacOs counterpart .. It's outrageous..
    (plus I already own a macbook, but 13" is impractical for graphical works)

27. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Lookup hackintosh and though shalt be happy.

28. n0mad

n0mad

Thanks for the tip, but researches say it's a very unstable solution :\

29. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Also it's against the iOS developer agreement. Anyway, why not just get an external monitor for the Macbook? Do you really need to haul around a large display everywhere?

--Eric

30. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

The only problem I had was finding the initial drivers. Once done, everything I threw at it worked.

Ya, tis unfortunate.

31. n0mad

n0mad

Well, yes, as I really perform mobile working when I'm not at home (like on a bench at lunch time, on a desk, etc), and I'm not authorized to use the screens at my work :/

This would have been a great solution, though ^^

32. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

@n0mad
    if iphone is not your primary target, buy a windows laptop and just do iphone porting at home with the old laptop.

33. n0mad

n0mad

That seems to be the best solution :)

Thanks guys !

(even if last minute iPhone specific exceptions are scaring me :roll: )

34. pixelthis

pixelthis

Thanks Dreamora,

So the end result is:

OSX: Everything
    Windows: Everything except iPhone

Thanks!

35. Dreamora

Dreamora

If we talk about desktop - android - iphone only then yes.

the consoles have restrictions too as their dev kits are restricted to specific platforms

36. rockysam888

rockysam888

Will unity 3.0 include new demo files (besides island demo), to show new features? For example, Beast Lightmapping, Deferred Rendering, Audio Magic, Occlusion Culling, etc.

Or, will the promotion demo urban or soldier be included too?

37. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It won't have the island demo anymore; that's replaced with the new demo that's been shown.

--Eric

38. rockysam888

rockysam888

Hi Eric5h5,

Just want to clarify.

Do you mean that the final unity3.0 will include new demo? Where did you get the information? (I asked this because I cannot find any new demo in the newest beta 4.)

Thanks in advance

39. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

It will be in the final release.

40. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That was mentioned on one or more of the following: the blog, the mailing list, one of the topics here.

--Eric

41. rockysam888

rockysam888

Thank you, Eric5h5 and BurgZerg.
    :)

42. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

Is there a changelist letting us know what fixes or changes have been made with each new beta release?

43. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Not that I have seen.

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

The release notes are in the Unity 3 beta area on Google Groups with the other pages/files.

--Eric

45. kenlem

kenlem

AFAIK, only beta testers have access to that group and not people on the pre-purchase pre-release.

46. Dreamora

Dreamora

for b3 on osx at least the changelist was on the dmg when you mounted it.
    can't comment on the windows one

47. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

And "dmg" means what?

48. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

it is the disk image (dmg) format for macs. So you get something like Unity3-b4.dmg as the file name.

49. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

In my beta 3 dmg, all i got was the installer and a Realse Notes.html that was just redirect to http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-2.6

Beta 4 was and update that came from with in Unity itself.

50. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Why would you need that. You can just create a low poly cylinder and make it a convex shape. Its not going to be any better because PhysX does not have it as a primitive so it wouldnt be any less expensive.