Search Unity

Announcing sales figures ok?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by keely, Apr 28, 2011.

1. keely

keely

Some app stores, like iTunes, seem to have a policy that developers aren't allowed to publicly announce exact sales figures. Maybe this isn't even accurate, but that's how people writing on the various blogs seem to think.

I was just wondering, what is the policy with the Asset Store? Considering that you just released a photo of Conan O'Brien with a 15k$ Asset Store cheque, there probably isn't such a policy, but I'm just making sure.

2. Acumen

Acumen

hrhr, conan o brien :D

Of course I can't give an official "go ahead", but I've seen quite some sales numbers within various threads around in these forums, were people openly stated it's alright.
    Guess, you'll get a quicker answer with a direct email/PM to the assetstorewonderwoman :D

3. keely

keely

Already sent a mail to assetstore@unity3d.com while ago, but I guess it's not the quickest.

I couldn't find any blog post of this matter with Google. Finding sales figures with forum search seems to be quite difficult too, not to say that there aren't any. Remember any particular thread or post?

4. sebako

sebako

5. keely

keely

Already did, but no reply on any fronts. I have an interesting blog post ready to go, but I guess this can wait until tomorrow.

6. keely

keely

Urgh, I think I'm going to release it anyways. I'll take it down in the morning if there's an outcry. I can't even understand the logic behind such policies. I'm dumb like that.

Here

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  7. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Wow, that is stupendous keely!

8. 3dDude

3dDude

:O Holy ..... And I thought I had made a lot of sales!

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

The logic behind it is simple: you don't want to give others the possibility to estimate your market force basing on "top sellers sales stats" as you can extrapolate a lot from it (like sales numbers in the appstore top 10)

and congrats on the good sales, think its well deserved, will likely join the RageSpline world too somewhen next week :)

10. nikko

nikko

If you give your sales figures and they are good, 100 guys from India will copy what you did and sell it for %20 of its price. Do you want that?
    Stay low profile.

11. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

nikko, the asset store doesn't allow price wars. 20 guys from Thailand might very well copy ragespline, but they can't undersell it, and will have to provide a better product.

12. keely

keely

When I get 10k hits a day and 1k+ of them playing the prototype of my upcoming game, just by announcing a happy sales success story, it's a no-brainer for me. However, It might not be a no-brainer for others involved as Dreamora explained.

13. caitlyn

caitlyn

That's not really American TV personality Conan O'Brien! That's the amazing Brady Wright, holding and showing off the enormous check of his earnings himself.

We do not disclose that information unless you want to, in which case we might do so by sending you an 8' x 2' check. =)

14. keely

keely

There might be some confusion with wording, but I'm glad it gets clarified.

The question was whether I am allowed to make MY sales figures publicly available. For instance: Apple's App Store forbids it.

If I get a chance to pose with a 8' x 2' check like Con.. I mean Brady. I'll be honored.

15. caitlyn

caitlyn

We don't have any policy forbidding that at the moment, so go right ahead! (Although if you have a brother-in-law constantly asking to borrow money, you might want to keep quiet. ) ;)

16. Dreamora

Dreamora

hehe ;)

And thanks for the clarification on the policy :)

17. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

I've got 16 sales total. 13 for Bawl Physics and 3 for GUI Virus Effect. That gives me $101.50 after the 30%. Before I started selling on Unity I didn't think I'd get very far but knowing that people have bought what I've made inspires me to keep making more. Right now I want to add on to Bawl Physics by maybe adding in a real level. I don't think I'll change the actual script that controls the ball though because it works perfectly (wouldn't want to screw that up..).

Have fun and keep selling!

18. mas

mas

Good revenue for a high quality professional tool!

Keep it up!

19. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

That one refund was someone downloading your asset acting like they dont want it anymore and getting a refund... you should hunt that person down =)

20. bgivenb

bgivenb

I dont really even have any use for ragespline in my current project, but I might just get it to try it out. Awesome looking tool and congrats on the sales.