Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Official [Announcement] Plastic SCM joins Unity!

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by marie-unity, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I wouldn't recommend that.

Plastic and Git bill you for history storage but doing that yourself isn't free either. You still have to buy or rent the hardware and unless you're an expert at it, it will likely cost you more in man hours to do that yourself than leaving it to the pros.

I don't pay because I can't do it myself but so I don't have to.

LooperVFX and BennyTan like this.
  2. If you don't think that Microsoft is the evilest corporation on Earth, then you can look into Azure DevOps (Azure Repos) too.
    It's a full GIT service for everyone (also free for some ample degree, depends on what services you choose with how many people). They include even the LFS.

I am a solo dev, I stretched my Collaborate-usings as far as my nerves allowed me, because Collaborate could be great for small projects. But then I added up the time I was staring at "Busy" dialog boxes and I just switched to DevOps. It is completely free for me with unlimited storage (your mileage may vary depending on what services you want to use) even for LFS.
    My editor of choice, Rider has excellent GIT-handling capabilities, pulling, pushing, committing is like a breeze, but using SourceTree can be equally easy if you want it.

It is worth looking into Azure DevOps.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2021
    Marc-Saubion, Skade88 and BennyTan like this.
  3. IchorX

IchorX

Wonderful, so happy you guys decided to litter all of my projects going forwards with bugs to add a grand total of nothing useful, I've lost countless hours to your Application.Reload bug that only happens in Plastic. It's name makes sense, given it's a cheap piece of rubbish poluting our world of game design.