Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for your feedback on the platforms you use and how you use them. Let us know!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Announcement] Google Maps Unity SDK For Gaming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TerraUnity, Jun 2, 2018.

1. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Since there was no official threads for Google Maps Unity SDK, I created this thread to discuss about it.

The official product page: https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/gaming/

Announcement video

Google Maps SDK announcement at GDC 2018 (Skip to 2 hours & 26 seconds)

Official Twit: https://twitter.com/gmapsplatform/status/973954955991289856

Google Maps SDK is a Unity plugin similar to MapBox Unity SDK to build real-world games with Google Maps Platform services. The main difference is that the plugin is not publicly available yet and aimed for large gaming studios which you can Contact Sales and discuss to get a license.

Some interesting built-in features in the SDK are:
    • Nine Slicing Texturing
    • Parapets & geometry decoration
    • Borders around buildings and roads
    • Roads/Buildings names
    • Day Night Cycle synchronization
    • Automatic LOD Fading
    • Geometry Physics
    • 3rd party assets integration

Some related resources:

Let everyone know if you happen to get a license and share ideas on it here.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    AdamGoodrich, AlanMattano and Funkeys like this.
  2. AustynPember

AustynPember

What is going on with this? Did they shut it down already?

3. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

I don't think it has been shut down but guess it's targeted for non-indie developers rather than being a free service. @AdamGoodrich knows better than every one else about this project!

4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Your best bet is to go here and put a request in via their Sales link:
    https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/gaming/

We made some of the videos that you can see on their page, and talk a little about it here:
    http://www.procedural-worlds.com/blog/origami-reimagining-reality/

TerraUnity likes this.
  5. pus2meong

pus2meong

I got the 12 months free access for this, but still figuring out of how to use it in Unity.

TerraUnity likes this.
  6. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Didn't realise that they were making it generally available. I wrote a bunch of middleware to make it do what I wanted.

7. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@pus2meong Can you tell us the process to get the license and what did they want from you?

@AdamGoodrich Seems like it is not easy to integrate the system into our projects out of the box, right? Are these middleware stuff available somewhere or are just for personal use-cases? I ask because I thought somehow you have been partners in this and they could be included!

Another question which I'm eager to know its answer is that how do you compare it to other solutions such as MapBox?

8. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes we would have liked to do something cool to help their customers do more sophisticated things than 9 slicing with their tech. In the end I guess its up to them.

Mapbox also seems very cool and we have spoken with them. When the next generation of our tech is ready we will provide adaptors that will enable you to leverage whichever mapping data source you prefer (or can get access to).

9. pus2meong

pus2meong

I just visit their page, and click the Get Started button, follow the pages, and then I was asked to create a billing account.
    Funny thing is, when checking my credit card validity, the transaction was declined (my card is actually valid because I can use it for Google Play) but somehow I can pass the billing account creation and arrived at google cloud platform console. With this page below.
    upload_2018-8-13_4-15-57.png

This this screen shot also available for other normal user, then I suppose I do not get the free trial...? However I got the email about free 12 months trial with 300$ free credits to use with this service.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 10:32 PM