Search Unity

Animinating bones using XYZ Euler instead of Quaternion in Blender

Discussion in 'Animation' started by ArachnidAnimal, Mar 5, 2017.

1. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

By default, the bones in the rig in Blender are set to record keyframes using Quaternions. I switched them to XYZ Euler so it is easy to manually rotate the bones. Could this cause a problem in Unity when running the animations? It's a human-type of rig.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I don't think so. I've animated several characters with xyz coordinates instead of quaternions (In 3D Max), and I've not seen any difference.
    I do know - Unity resamples the curves to quaternions upon import - so might just want to test this with a simple 3 axis animation and see if there are any negative results.

ArachnidAnimal likes this.
  3. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Ok, thanks for the info. I tried testing it out briefly using the XYZ Eulers and didn't notice any issues or problems. The problem is in Blender, you cannot switch back to Quaternions once you started using Eulers for the animations, unless you want to re-do the animations.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Oh - that's a tough limitation, Max doesn't have. Oddly - certain motions look good with quat while others look good with xyz. Depends upon what look the animator is trying to achieve and what curve types they are using.