Search Unity

AnimFollow active ragdoll is now free to download.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kavorka, Jan 4, 2014.

1. JRRReynolds

JRRReynolds

Can you update this for Unity5, it isn't working :(

2. Kavorka

Kavorka

Yes, I have sent, to the asset store, yesterday, an update that is working with Unity 5.
    Version 0.5 (currently on the asset store) does work, but when Unity 5 updates the project it messes up the hierarchy of the character. If you redo the tutorial and uncomment the code in the HashID (only in version 0.5) script, it will work.
    Then set PForce to 30 and Dforce to 0.1.
    New Unity 5 ready version will be in the store in a few days, or email me and I will send you the update.

Take a moment to read through the manual for my new asset that I am currently selling as an alpha release (by contact).
    Have a peak at the You tube channel.

3. Velo222

Velo222

Hi Kavorka,

I responded to this thread a long time ago, but now I'm finally getting around to wanting to implement it now. I was wondering if you had a tutorial to do the following: Lets say I have an archer that is "firing a bow and arrow" with a particular animation. Now lets say during the animation, the archer dies. All I want to do is have the archer "go ragdoll" from the position it dies in (i.e. relatively close or exactly at the animation state it was in when it dies). I don't even need it to follow a particular death animation loosely, I just want my characters to roughly match the animation state they are in when they go ragdoll.

If you don't have a tutorial on how to do this, I was wondering if you could make one? If you do, excellent. But before I purchase your asset, I want to make sure it's what I need for my game (or even if your asset makes it easier to do this).

Thank you.

4. Kavorka

Kavorka

Hello Velo
    Thanks for your interest. To get what you want, you only have to set the shotByBullet bool to true. This is very easy, it will just work straight out of the box. In fact if you just want the character to ragdoll, as in your description, you only even need the simpleRagdoll asset. AnimFollow is more advanced and you can have the character rise again after a fall. The new PBC asset is yet more advanced and smoother, it is where the development is focused now. Let me know when you buy and I will tell you exactly how to do, if you need me to.

5. Velo222

Velo222

Thanks for the reply Kavorka.

Yep, it looks like I just need the "SimpleRagdoll" asset then as you suggested. I found your tutorials on that, and that looks like exactly what I'm wanting to do. If I remember, I will purchase tomorrow, as it's late here.

I have a couple other questions though:

1. Will SimpleRagdoll work with Unity 5.0 do you think?

2. Almost all of my models use the "Optimize Gameobject" setting in the models import "rig" settings, using mecanim. This hides the models bone transforms I believe in the hierarchy. I don't think this will hurt the process, because I'm making a ragdoll ahead of time correct? What happens if I make a ragdoll from a model (without optimize game object in mecanim checked) and save the ragdoll object. Then I check the "optimize gameobject" on the model afterwards? Will this ruin the ragdoll settings at all? Can I "un-optimize", make the ragdoll, and then re-optimize the model?

Let me know if you don't understand my question.

Thank you very much! This looks fantastic. :)

6. Kavorka

Kavorka

1) SimpleRagdoll will work in Unity 5. If there is a problem I will fix it swiftly.
    2) I believe you can have the Optimize Gameobject checked all the time, but you have to expose the transforms which, on the ragdoll, have a collider.

7. Alphalpha

Alphalpha

Hi, I just bought AnimFollow and it seems the demo scenes aren't working properly. In SceneAF Ethan is all twisted up and in both of them I can't move, only turn.

I'm running Unity 5.

8. Kavorka

Kavorka

Yes, I have sent an update to the asset store, saturday 7th of mars, that is working with Unity 5.
    New Unity 5 ready version will be in the store in a few days, or email me and I will send you the update.
    Legs are sometimes still a little wobbly in unity 5, I will soon send another update that is more tuned for unity 5.

9. Kavorka

Kavorka

In all the haste of updating for unity 5 I am not all sure I did not make a mistake when uploading. I know I left one scene in there that does not work and the CompleteCharacter prefab should not be there either. I am going to upload another version today where I have fixed the wobbly feet. The feet problem is because the configurable joints damping does not work in unity 5. I have also found that the character on rare occasions get stuck in the get up cycle. I will try to get that fixed for this upload as well.
    I will email the upload to you if you are eager.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  10. Alphalpha

Alphalpha

Sorry, I've been preoccupied the last few days, but thanks for the prompt reply. I figured it might be Unity 5 trouble; a lot of assets have been wonky the last week. Glad to hear you've sorted it out.

It's not super urgent, so I may as well just wait for the asset store update. Thanks, and I'll let you know how it works.

11. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Has someone used this together with the UFPS asset and can share how to use them both?

12. Revek

Revek

Will animfollow work with Unity Multipurpose Avatar?

13. Kavorka

Kavorka

I am not officially supporting UMA, I have never used UMA and cannot help you.
    However, I have customers who say they got UMA working well.

14. JRRReynolds

JRRReynolds

Does Simple Ragdoll include ragdoll to mechanim? Or is pure only to ragdoll

15. Kavorka

Kavorka

SimpleRagdoll only goes to ragdoll.

16. super-cypher

super-cypher

Hi

how do you make the ragdoll stronger? he seems to fall over far too easy even if i change the settings as suggested in the youtube vid.

thanks

17. Kavorka

Kavorka

Increasing the noGhostlimit or the graceSpeed will make it fall over less easy.
    If your ground is not named "Terrain", or is not tagged "IgnoreMe", then the ragdoll might be weak because it is colliding with the ground. I dare guess that is your case.

Hope it helps

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  18. super-cypher

super-cypher

Thanks that worked. but how can i achieve this

so it gets hit but doesnt go down straight away? it says you used a custom RagdollControl script, where can i find that?

thanks

19. Kavorka

Kavorka

Glad it worked.
    The non falling ragdoll is a little tricky to do well. It must be done in code. That custom control script is lost. In my new asset (only available directly from me) hit reactions is a standard feature.

Skip to 3:30 if you are impatient.

20. tjohns20

tjohns20

To anyone looking to recreate the 'some limbs can ragdoll' behaviour from this video (
    ), I poked around with it and realised that you need to reduce the Joint Torque Profile values as well as the P Force Profile values for the particular rigidbodies you want to release from AnimFollow behaviour. Works great!

21. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

just a quick question, can you use animfollow to create monsters like in gangbeasts?

22. Kavorka

Kavorka

Kevin
    AnimFollow cannot do that, but my new asset, the PBC, will be able to do similar things.

23. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Want more info about PBC :)

24. chaneya

chaneya

Kavorka,

Can AnimFollow or PBC be used with Unity's NavMesh and Nav Mesh Agent setup for player control instead of your built in input controls. I'm considering using PBC or AnimFollow in a mobile Action RPG or RTS type of game where the player would move towards a position clicked or tapped on screen.

Thanks

25. Kavorka

Kavorka

Hi Chaneya
    Yes, that is not hard to do. What I hear some customers do is to let the nav mesh act on a "rabbit" and modify the input script to follow the rabbit. I'll make it work. Get the PBC, it is twice the price but three times the fun.

26. chaneya

chaneya

Kavorka,

Thanks for the quick response. I bought PBC just a couple of weeks ago and just started digging through your code in the last few days. The beta is looking really fantastic! Really well done, there's nothing else like it on the Asset store!

The nav mesh "rabbit" setup is a good idea. :) I'll work on that. Right now when I add a Nav Mesh Agent component to to char_ethan, where you have the other input components, it really messes things up.

The character/ragdoll auto-setup worked well for my own player model and I found it pretty easy to integrate a different camera system that is more suited to a top down style game but I see integrating new inputs and adding new animations as more of a challenge since AdvancedMoveScript_PBC and GetWASD_PBC are so fundamentally integrated into the core setup.

My recommendation for PBC is that you consider decoupling your core code from camera, Input and Animations as much as possible to make it as easy as possible for customers to modify these three areas for different game types. This should broaden the appeal of PBC because people will see different use cases for your product. It's a tough challenge because Unity has Input and Animation so closely tied together but some documentation on how to add animations before you release your version to the asset store would help customers a lot. People will want to add melee combat, climbing animations etc.

But I'm just getting started digging through your project and you are right, it's at least 3X the fun, probably more! :)

Allan

27. Kavorka

Kavorka

Thank you Allan, It makes me happy to hear people like my stuff.
    Yes, I am decoupling right now, so before you do any more, download the latest version. It is more modular.
    Those suggestions are all excellent. I will make it more versatile as I go, but until now I have focused on making it more stable. If it is not solid before i add user level stuff, I would be wasting time I think.
    The automatic setup script is now called CreateHumanRagdoll. There you can choose to only add the stuff you want, like no FPS camera or no foot IK etc. I will soon make a better solution for nav mesh and animation only control.

Sorry I did not recognize you before.
    Patrik

28. Kavorka

Kavorka

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  29. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I want to playtest a demo and a link where i can buy it please.

30. Kavorka

Kavorka

31. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Do you have an example in the asset that show how to use it like gang beasts?
    Also the demo is workin it is not easy to stear in 3rd person mode at least not in the web player.

32. martinamenegon

martinamenegon

hi, i have a question: i need to have ragdolls, falling on the ground. I need their heads to follow a moving target.. is that possible with your scripts? or possible at all.. :p

33. Kavorka

Kavorka

martinamenegon likes this.
  34. Deyama

Deyama

Hi, first of all thanks for making this great asset and on top of that making it free. But I have a problem with disabling and reenabling the gameobject.

As you can see the ragdoll's pose just goes more and more weird every time I reenable it. I'll understand if you're not supporting the asset any more, but could you at least point me at where the problem might be? Is it with some of those quaternion arrays, that are initialized at the Awake()? Thanks!

35. Kavorka

Kavorka

Hi Deyama

You are right in that I do not spend much (any) time with this asset anymore. I no longer remember every line in my head, therefore I cannot with accuracy say what the problem might be. Your guess seems plausible, it is likely to be a quaternion array that is initialized incorrectly upon re-enabling. It could maybe be either that it is reinitialized when it should not be (most likely), or it is not reinitialized when it ought to be.
    It seems you only disable the ragdoll, does it behave the same if you disable the complete character. If you have seen the PBC video where I disable the ragdoll when it is not needed, this feature was not invented at the AnimFollow time, and might not be easy to accomplish.

Best wishes
    Patrik

36. Deyama

Deyama

Thank you for your quick response. And sorry, because I should have tried something as simple as a plain cut-and-paste before posting a question.

Good luck and best regards

37. SinanAkkoyun

SinanAkkoyun

Hello Kavorka,
    I LOVE your asset really! Great work!! For now I only saw your videos on it but I want to know something:
    is the free version outdated or why can we decide between free version and buying it for 90 dollars?

38. Kavorka

Kavorka

Hi Sinan
    Thanks for your love. The free and the payed versions are the same. I just have not got around to remove it from the asset store. Someone with money might even choose to pay to support me and my work.
    My YouTube channel.

39. SinanAkkoyun

SinanAkkoyun

Hi Kavorka,
    thats just awesome! Im sorry for all these questions but I can't try the package out (caused by vacation ;) ). Is this package the one with the PBC script?
    Also, thank you very much for this fast reply! Your are awesome!

40. Kavorka

Kavorka

No, the PBC is not free, it is $180 per seat per title.

41. SinanAkkoyun

SinanAkkoyun

I understand the price I just saw the pdf of it :D

I hope I dont annoy you ^^ so if I understand it right the RagdollControler script comes with this package?

42. THE2FUN

THE2FUN

What per seat per title ? now can I have it all by just giving $ 180?
    what are all these titles?

43. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Is it still $180 and where can we buy it?

44. Kavorka

Kavorka

AnimFollow is free, it is my first version of an active ragdoll. AnimFollow is nowhere near as advanced as the PBC, but it can be fun to play with and maybe good enough for some applications. I have not opened AnimFollow in years, If it works, fine, if not, I will not fix it. AnimFollow is free to use compiled in a game. You cannot profit from the source or share it in large scale.

The Physically Based Character PBC is a complete retake on an active ragdoll. It has better performance and an algorithm that makes it react to external forces realistically (with about human strength) yet follows the animation accurately when unperturbed.

I have solved the problem that the ragdoll is either, to strong to be impacted realistically by external forces or, to weak to accurately follow the animation. It is not solved by finding a happy medium strength because there is no happy medium, there are only bad compromises. Neither does it switch between strength modes (unless it faints and goes ragdoll). It is a physical and mathematical continuous algorithm.

Also the position of the PBC ragdoll can be dragged along by an external force, not possible in AnimFollow. The walk/run/strife animations are synced with the dragged character who offers realistic resistance to being dragged. This is also accomplished with a solid continuous algorithm.

The third title is AuBal, meaning Authentic Balance. The PBC often looks like it has some balance but it is not real balance. The PBC cannot fall unless it faints and goes ragdoll. PBC with AuBal has a realistic balance system based on the principle of an inverted pendulum. It is a solid control algorithm that solves the equations and makes the character move to keep his balance, like when you balance a pen standing in your palm or like a two dimensional Segway. It has to lean forward to accelerate, backward to slow down. If it is brought to lean by an external force it will accelerate in that direction to maintain its balance. If it cannot accelerate fast enough, e.g., due to too little friction, the character will fall. This fall is different because it does not ragdoll, it has full strength and the motivated programmed can put an AI layer on top to play a save animation or intervene in another suitable way.

The character has been criticized for not reacting realistically, with the upper body, on impact. Yes, there is no AI to make the character move its arms or upper body. Such a system, if desired, you have to add yourself. The system is just a core to be used as is or to be tailored by the game developer to fit that specific game.

The PBC works on some (many) moving platforms, the AuBal has an even better moving platform algorithm. The dual interaction video shows how the character is moved by the platform and how the platform is affected by the characters acceleration and external forces. The balance is relative to a freely adjustable gravity vector, which enables many fun effects like wall runs or moving on a spherical planet like seen in one of the videos.

The AuBal also has a system that senses the magnitude and direction of external forces and torques. It can sense the force without any need for a script on the interacting body. This force sensing is needed to make an accurate balance system. You have seen in the AuBal videos how the character leans to counteract the external force when dragged. The force vector is available to the programmer to use for further AI.

I have sold the PBC to a few customers that I judged trustworthy and who promised to not scream for endless support. It has now been more than a year since I looked at the scripts and since I no longer remember every line of the code I cannot give the same level of support I originally could.

The scripts are advanced and I fear I overshot the target, because many will not be able to add to the systems without interfering with them. I mainly did this character because I wanted to prove to myself that I could do a physical character better than what I see in most games. I am proud to have solved the core (hardest) part of the problems but the game level part of the character is still to be added on top of the systems.

No one has yet been permitted to buy the AuBal. I am tempted to stop selling the PBC because I can no longer give support the way I want to. If you really want it, are trustworthy and can buy it without promise of support, I guess I can be persuaded to sell it. Send me a mail, payment is to PayPal, the download link is from Google drive so I need the address you use for your Google account.

45. THE2FUN

THE2FUN

in Unity 2018 playable well?

46. Kavorka

Kavorka

I have not tried it in 2018. It works in 2017.

47. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

This is really cool, Thanks :)
    The asset store link is not working.
    But the link at the top is working.

PS: Yes, working with Unity 2018.1.0f2.

48. vincewins

vincewins

Thanks Kavorka for providing this really nice asset for free!
    Yes it works in 2018 (after removing a tab character after a class, which is not allowed there ;))!

I made some changes so I could use it with my own Camera.
    Changing the MovementController/AnimationController will probably be next..

I guess there are some things that probably most people need to do after downloading this, that could be made available in an open community repository.

How about publishing it on something like github so the community could improve it further?
    If you do not have time to do it yourself - would you allow others to publish it there or is it somehow license-restricted?

Again, thanks a bunch for this! I learned a lot, just by looking at it!

helloroy, dyupa, tiredamage42 and 2 others like this.
  49. tiredamage42

tiredamage42

I just posted a modified version of this system, mixed with another ragdoll method, it's tailored more towards my Mixamo specific workflow, and not needing a full on physics based character, but maybe it'll help you out.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/dynamic-ragdoll-example-package.653281/

Blarp and dyupa like this.
  50. shubhro

shubhro

Hey Kavorka, i have few questions:
    - Are u making the master jump (and slave is following the master) or slave to jump.
    - Are u using rigidbody AddForce to jump or something else.