Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AnimFollow active ragdoll is now free to download.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kavorka, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Kavorka

Kavorka

Nameis
    It seems my response to your last post have disappeared. I am confident I wrote a reply. I have not heard from you since. I hope you found some solution or work around. You have really tried hard so I offer you to send me your character and I will see if I can set it up for you.

(Note that I do not get email alerts for updates on post)

Best wishes
    Patrik

Coder_lab likes this.
  2. kilik128

kilik128

hi this sample is include in package ?

3. Kavorka

Kavorka

Hello kilik
    I am sorry, that sample does require some coding.

4. kilik128

kilik128

for sure is why i asking about it
    it's complexe to code active desactive follow anim
    i have add Animfollow in wisp list for make battle fight game
    question is possible to active only part of model like arm for zombie

5. Kavorka

Kavorka

Yes it is possible to activate only parts of the model.

6. kilik128

kilik128

that's sound great i have just buy finalik so i will wait little
    you get to do list on this tool

7. LudiKha

LudiKha

Great asset, just bought it and set up my character with it.

Four questions:
    • Why do the number of transforms on the master and slave need to match during setup? Is there a way to circumvent this?
    • Is there a way to activate the 'falling' state to a part of the body, i.e. without the character actually falling? E.g. just the upper body or a limb.
    • Is there a way to make characters recover (while still standing) after a fall is triggered?
    • Are you planning to further develop the asset?
    I suppose my last #2 & #3 can be resolved if I customize the asset so that it may suit my needs better, but it'd only make sense if you don't plan to add in those features yourself at some point.

Cheers,

Khaya

8. Kavorka

Kavorka

Hello, I am glad you like it.
    1) Yes, you may add transforms to the ragdoll dynamically after the automated setup has completed. You may for example add a gun to the hand as a child transform. There are also other ways to circumvent that. It is not terrible hard, but it has to be done in code.
    2) Yes, you can reduce, in the P - Profiles, the strength of any limb. I show alittle about this in this slightly outdated video:

3) Yes there is, but it is not elementary and require you to modify the RagdollControl script. I have done it here:

4) I have put the project aside for a while but hope to get new motivation as the dark and cold season enters. But so far I have not gotten in the spirit.

9. LudiKha

LudiKha

Hi Kavorka,

Thanks for the quick & honest reply. After analyzing the RagdollControl script it indeed becomes clear how it can be edited in order to be tailored to different needs.

On that note, could you please share the script you used for that second video?

Hope you will find the spirit to continue working on this at some point! It's already great, but has so much more potential!

Best,

Khaya

10. Kavorka

Kavorka

I am glad you see the potential. Also glad that you find the RagdollControl script workable for the skilled programmer.

I am sorry, but the project of the second video does no longer exist.

11. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Can this ragdoll system be used with the legacy animation system as well, or only Mecanim?

12. Kavorka

Kavorka

The AnimFollow script can easily be modified to be used with legacy. The RagdollControl script is written for mecanim and has to be converted to work with legacy.

13. Coder_lab

Coder_lab

Hi Patrik!

No worries about your response not showing up - I've been trying to fix this myself intermittently for quite a while to give you some breathing space :) Anyone new to this thread, take note that Patrik has an outstanding record of support and customer service! He's been very diligent in providing the most value for money he possibly can, which I am very grateful for.

In response to your question, I have come very close to getting AnimFollow working with another character - Mixamo's free 'Beta' model, doing my best to follow your tutorials exactly (which are VERY useful, thank you for such excellent product support). The only problem I am having now is with the foot IK (the log is free of any errors or messages). The Beta model can move around, but her right leg has issues with placement, and distorts badly during animations.

I have noticed that another one of your assets on the asset store is a FootIK solution, perhaps it would be possible to integrate and use that instead if it is easily compatible. Or perhaps the Moving Platform Controller, as that appears to have FootIK also?

Thanks,

Nameis

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    reese01 likes this.
  14. Kavorka

Kavorka

Thank you for the supporting text. There is a bug in the foot IK that makes it behave weird on some models. It is fixed in the Moving Platform Controller´s IK. I just sent you the replacement C# files. Meanwhile, take a look at the knee transform of your model. If the knee transform's orientation is different than that of Ethan, then the new files will fix the IK problem. Let me know if you did not get the files or if you have further problems.

15. Kavorka

Kavorka

Here follows a tiny hint of how I accomplished the ragdoll round kick scene:

For those scenes I added a kick animation to the character and a public bool, disableFall, to the RagdollControl script.
    I also changed line 210 in the RagdollControl from

if (shotByBullet || numberOfCollisions > 0 && (collisionSpeed > graceSpeed || (!(gettingUp || falling) && limbErrorMagnitude > noGhostLimit)) || (limbErrorMagnitude > noGhostLimit2 && orientated))

to

if (!disableFall && (shotByBullet || numberOfCollisions > 0 && (collisionSpeed > graceSpeed || (!(gettingUp || falling) && limbErrorMagnitude > noGhostLimit)) || (limbErrorMagnitude > noGhostLimit2 && orientated)))

I then programmed the disableFall bool to become true when the kick animation was playing. That way the kicking character did not fall, only the kicked character fell.

16. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hey,

Did you get access to unity 5 yet?

17. Kavorka

Kavorka

No, I did not.

18. LudiKha

LudiKha

I do have access to Unity 5, and I can confirm it (mostly) works with U5. There's some noise rotation at the hips, but I'm sure it's nothing that cannot be fixed with a little bit of tweaking from the user's end.

19. Kavorka

Kavorka

Thanks Ragoo, that is good news. The noise is probably fixed by lowering PTorque and/or DTorque.

20. LudiKha

LudiKha

After some more testing, there's only a few lines of code in the RagdollControl script that need to be edited, which is transitions from "Any State" to the getup states. In this case, "Any State" was renamed to "Entry".

I can confirm that lowering PTorque and DTorque fixes the noise rotation!

21. Kavorka

Kavorka

Super! Big thanks for the help.

22. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Hello Kavorka,

Has this been tested with unity 5 beta?

I Purchase your moving platforms plugin but it's not working with Unity 5 beta, so I would think that this probably doesnt work either?

23. Kavorka

Kavorka

Hello
    The three posts immediatelly before yours describe how this has been tested in Unity 5 beta, and that it works after a few tweaks.

May I ask you to tell me in an email what the problem with moving platforms is?

Thanks

24. LudiKha

LudiKha

I tested it with Unity 5, and it works immediately without compiler errors.

However, there is a 'bug' where the fallen actor doesn't get up again. This is managed in a script called RagdollControl.cs. All you need to do is open the Animator Hash script, and change two lines of code from "Any State" to "Entry" - this makes the character stand up again work normally.

Then, in order to fix some noise rotation around the hips (since Unity 5 has overhauled the physics system) - decrease two variables DTorque and PTorque (you can do that in the inspector), and you're good to go.

25. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Thanks for the tip Ragoo.

I'm going to have a think about purchase this one.

Thanks for your time

26. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Hello Patrik

I see at the bottom of the PDF "This is beta. There may be some loose ends that you will have to fix yourself. There is no rigidbody on the example character so it will run straight through walls."

I realize this is a problem. If the character has a rigid body he will slide across the screen every time he bumps into something.

This is a pretty big loose end. Do you think you will be able to solve it?

I really hope you can. besides this loose end this asset is brilliant. I don't think I will be able to solve this issue. Physics is not my thing.

Any tips?

27. Kavorka

Kavorka

That must be in the PDF for the moving platforms asset. The AnimFollow character is all rigidbodies. Be sure to look at the tutorial and play the web player before you buy.

Edit: If you actually are referring to the moving platforms asset not having a rigidbody, I have no immediate plans to put a rigidbody on that character. That text is there to clearly inform that there is no collider on that character.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  28. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Yes sorry I'm talking about moving platforms. I dont see a thread for that kit.

Can I ask why don't you want to add a rigidbody on there?

When I add a rigid body on my character or nathan, it starts to slide a little whenever it bumps into a wall. it continues to do that. are you aware of this? is that the reason why you didn't add one?

29. Kavorka

Kavorka

There is a thread. But I am glad to answer your question here as well. I did not add a rigidbody because that was not in the scope of that project. I only wanted to explore having a character that could handle moving platforms and exert reaction forces on the environment.
    Adding a kinematic rigidbody and a capsule collider to the root transform would allow it to push things around, but it would still go through walls. It is not all elementary to add a rigidbody the proper way, but maybe you can find a clever way to do it without all the physics and programming I would have done.
    Best wishes

30. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

so what you're saying is that if I'm not able to figure out a clever way to get it not going through wall then this is not usable.

Now if a clever man like yourself with the knowledge to be able to build these sort of assets can't do it then I'm pretty sure I won't be able too. lol Sorry I don't think I'm clever than you or else I would have made the asset myself :/

I'm going to pretend I'm clever for an hour or so and see what happens.

Oh by the way, the rigidbody element of this asset IS in the scope of this asset for sure...

Don't you think it's only right for you to try to finish this properly?

I'm not asking for features, I'm just asking for it to work well enough for me to use in a game. Lets face it, if the character walks through walls then never mind being able to apply forces to platforms, this thing will be useless?? don't you think?

31. Kavorka

Kavorka

Maybe I can, maybe I can't. I am sorry.

32. blueivy

blueivy

Wait so as of now, using animfollow the character walks through walls?

33. Kavorka

Kavorka

No, the other asset, moving platforms, that character has no collider and will walk through walls. For that asset you have to attach a collider yourself if you want one. The AnimFollow character ragdolls if you hit the wall too hard, and should deflect if you grace the wall. Some may think it ragdolls to easily, it is tweakable to some extent.

34. blueivy

blueivy

I was wondering would it be possible to implement some sort of recovery system when falling. How hard do you think that would be?

35. Kavorka

Kavorka

It's what I am doing in the PBC. I find it not super easy to get it satisfactory. In the PBC I utilize several systems, each system is, by itself, not that hard to get to 80 %, but to get all the systems to cooperate gracefully has been testing my stamina.

I did this earlier.

That was done with a modified asset store AnimFollow. There I disabled the fall so that the master was always standing, but the ragdoll strength was briefly limited when hit and thus knocked back from the blow. A moment after the hit I re-positioned the master to the ragdoll and lerped the ragdoll strength back on. I gave the master some velocity to make the event look natural. It is doable, but in code. You would likely have to spend a fair time to get comfortable with the AnimFollow code. Very hard for some, not that hard for others.

blueivy likes this.
  36. Kavorka

Kavorka

It would also be cool to do a blend to a recovery animation that the weakened ragdoll would try to follow but in a "ragdolly" way. That would probably require quite some fidgeting and tuning to be made to look good. Also there could be a "protect" animation played just before the hit.

blueivy likes this.
  37. TimK_gumi

TimK_gumi

Just a heads up, in ragdollHitByBullet, rather than do this:

if (!(ragdollControl = GetComponentInChildren<RagdollControl_AF>()))

You can just add the RequireComponent attribute to the class. Then, if someone adds ragdollHitByBullet to a game object, Unity will automagically add a RagdollControl_AF as well. One less thing for people to email support about!

Edit: Although, now I think of it, it's not exactly the same thing. You might not want to require the components be on the same object, but only in the same hierarchy. Carry on, nothing to see here!

38. Kavorka

Kavorka

Submitted an update to the asset store. Noting major, just finally got around to send the fixed foot IK, so that now models with knee transforms orientated different than Ethan's also work properly.

Also Added an optional "stay dead on head-shot" feature. So that for example if you use this on a zombie enemy it will ragdoll and get back up every time you shoot it, but if you shoot it in the head it will stay dead. The character will also destroy itself when it goes off camera. That way you can slaughter a lot of zombies without them piling up if you wish.

39. kilik128

kilik128

i try reproduce sample but found where player fall on hit so it's give that's at this time

40. Kavorka

Kavorka

Good work. Try this:

41. kilik128

kilik128

another try

i got only
    This version of AnimFollow works better with one extra colleder in the spine on

and ragdoll look not playing correctly
    i think's it's about confugurable joint low angular limit i try fix

42. Kavorka

Kavorka

Sorry, no I don't know why that character falls in a T-pose. It looks like the configurable joints does not loose their strength when the character falls.

I don't know what changes you have made or why the character sometimes seem to snap away, but the character snapping away could maybe be mitigated by fiddling with the parameters: ghostLimit and graceSpeed in RagdollControl.

43. kilik128

kilik128

i found for tpose it's configurable joints angular limit but now caracther vibrates i continue search for parameters working better with pforce if i have strengh to add extra spine maybie

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  44. kilik128

kilik128

maybie you have already try use biped for create the ragdoll ?

result this eror
    D6Joint::loadFromDesc: desc.isValid() fails!
    UnityEngine.ConfigurableJoint:set_angularYMotion(ConfigurableJointMotion)
    AnimFollow.AnimFollow_AF:EnableJointLimits(Boolean) (at Assets/AF_SFIK/AnimFollow/Scripts/RagdollScripts/AnimFollow_AF.cs:436)
    AnimFollow.AnimFollow_AF:Awake() (at Assets/AF_SFIK/AnimFollow/Scripts/RagdollScripts/AnimFollow_AF.cs:278)

45. redzone1117

redzone1117

I have a problem with my rigidbody..the legs don't move properly with the rest of the armature. unity_screen.jpg

46. redzone1117

redzone1117

running_askew.jpg This is how he runs.

47. Kavorka

Kavorka

That could be that you are not using the latest version. I uploaded a new version a few weeks back. The older version had a bug that had that problem on some models. Try that first. Also make sure the ragdoll and all ragdoll children are on an ignored layer e.g. water.

redzone1117 likes this.
  48. redzone1117

redzone1117

I am using the older version..what was updated? I have set all of the ragdoll and its children on the water layer

49. Kavorka

Kavorka

Version.5
    • Fixed a bug in the foot IK that made the knees bend strange on some models.
    • Added a stay dead on head-shot feature. Character is destroyed next time it goes off camera.

redzone1117 likes this.
  50. kilik128

kilik128

Yes so i have always this trouble for understand on Ikpos when the fall is set to active
    for exemple here who interesed me i got followTerrain when the map is not tagged character fall directly
    but ik doesn't move up in staircase on inverse is i tag to i try find mix between this too value for
    get better look of gravity result