Search Unity

Feedback Animator's Missing references (yellow text) is annoying to work with

Discussion in 'Animation' started by ChimiChangle, Aug 26, 2022.

1. ChimiChangle

ChimiChangle

Whenever you rename something or change its order in the hierarchy, if said object was currently being affected by animations/animator, that particular element will become labeled as missing in the Animation window. The worst part about working with this is that you have to double click (but slowly) to rename/repath that missing element and this just feels like a really antiquated interface, despite animations being one of my favorite and most powerful unity tools.

If possible I would like the following solutions considered:
    1) Just press F2, quick double click, or right click -> rename, to rename an element.
    1a) Multi element renaming
    2) Automatically tracking an element's change within the hierarchy so that you don't have to fear renaming/reorganizing
    3) Better error text than just (Missing!), because sometimes its not just a bad pathway. I don't remember off the top of my head for this occasion unfortunately but I've been bamboozled in the past, slow double clicking and stressing out about why it wouldn't let me rename the path, when in actuality there was a different issue altogether.

Thanks for holding this forum!

Pier-Luc_Artisan likes this.
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I think this comes more under the Animation team than UI so ill pass the feedback on to them.
    Thanks

ChimiChangle likes this.