Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug AnimatorControllerParameter.name - Can't Build

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by Welfarecheck, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Welfarecheck

Welfarecheck

Unity 2021.3 with VS 1.8.

I can't build because I am getting this error. It worked in 1.7.X.

Assets\Unity.VisualScripting.Generated\VisualScripting.Core\AotStubs.cs(13280,4): error CS0200: Property or indexer 'AnimatorControllerParameter.name' cannot be assigned to -- it is read only

If I remove the get name, it will build.

upload_2023-2-28_18-24-9.png

For now, I added a list of string with all my parameter names but I would rather not have to maintain a list that will grow to a hundred or more names.

upload_2023-2-28_18-30-57.png

Found this issue from years ago.
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...t-be-assigned-error-when-building-the-project

2. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Unity Visual Scripting team doesn't have any forum presence after the recent layoffs, so if you haven't already report the bug via the editor's bug reporting tool: https://unity.com/releases/editor/qa/bug-reporting That's the only way you'll get this addressed.

3. Welfarecheck

Welfarecheck

I sure hope they don't abandon this. I've got a MMO using Fishnet going using it and I need better performance for loops. The small bugs aren't an issue, those can be worked around no problem. It's just the loops that cripple everything. I can run ~400 players on the server with no lag, but it needs to be a lot faster.

Do you know if there's a way to create a better for each loop for both lists and dictionaries?

I was looking at uNode, it has a converter and it can go to C# kinda sorta. So, I might have to take a look at that.

Screenshot of town under attack.

4. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

They aren't abandoning it, Unity's just undergoing a culture change. As forum active people leave or are let go, new blood comes in and most of them never come here and participate. Unity's going full corporate and they're at a scale where they can't really manually track forum thread bug reports, so you and me have to go through official bug reporting channels (which forums are not a part of). Even when devs in other forum sections respond, they still ask you to report a bug from the editor, anyway.

As for what's happening with Visual Scripting, you can read the stickied November 2022 Visual Scripting Update, they're working a new major version of the tool with a completely new runtime and UI/UX frontend. I suspect it might be a full rewrite from the ground up since they've long stopped shipping incremental improvements to the current version of the tool. Unfortunately, this new major version of UVS is still two to three years away. Current version won't receive any performance improvements in the meantime, only bug fixes.

For loop is slightly faster than foreach for collections, but likely inconsequential for your use case. One way to speed up would be to do the loops in C# methods, then call those methods from graphs. Most modern IDEs can autocomplete small code snippets like loops, so you don't really have to know all the syntax, you just need to be able to read and modify it. If you can write MMORPGs in Visual Scripting, doing the same in C# is not really that much harder, especially if you use something like Rider IDE which has superb autocomplete and autoformatting built-in.

uNode can be a hit or a miss. In my experience, it has never been stable enough for production. And the C# it generates can often perform poorly as well. I learned coding with Bolt myself, then transitioned to C# due to its limitations and Unity cancelling Bolt 2. I too thought I'm unable to code the regular way once upon a time, but it was simply a limiting mindset problem.

Town looks sweet!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  5. SF_FrankvHoof

SF_FrankvHoof

Even when he's being attacked, he's still selling his wares..
    Gotta hand it to that shopkeep. Not even a dragon will faze him.

6. Welfarecheck

Welfarecheck

Inflation is rough on everyone.

SF_FrankvHoof likes this.
  7. Welfarecheck

Welfarecheck

Thank you for the input. I will try to figure out how to write scripts for some of these. It can't be all that difficult in this case. It's just a for each loop of a dictionary and a few if statements.

I need to look at the jobs setup for this. I don't need any output from it so it can run as a worker.

upload_2023-3-1_8-0-41.png