Search Unity

Animator without Animations for State-Driven Cameras

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by tjmaul, May 3, 2019.

1. tjmaul

tjmaul

Hi everybody,

In my game, the camera changes between some camera angles and behaviours, tied the gameplay state. I tried to model this with the the built-in Animator, since I can define states and transitions easily and it integrates well with the State-Driven Camera of Cinemachine.

However, since I don't have actual animations bound to the animator (
    Motion
    property is
    None
    ), the states seem to default a play time of 1 second, which means that in the worst case, the state change happens only 1 second after whatever event caused it. I'd like the state to change instantaneously after a transition is triggered and not wait for the (non-existent) motion cycle to finish.

Am I missing anything or am I going the wrong way? I do realise that I kinda misuse the Animator for this.

What I already tried is to fiddle with the transition settings, but only found increasing the playback speed of the state to very high numbers mitigates the effect. However, this seems like a very hacky solution.

If any of the cinemachine devs are reading this:
    I'm really enjoying using Cinemachine, really takes some workload off me and brings very nice results! Thanks!

2. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

You just need to uncheck "Has Exit time", and your transition will happen whenever your conditions are all true

tjmaul likes this.
  3. tjmaul

tjmaul

Thanks, DavidGeoffroy, now I feel somewhat stupid. I could have sworn I tried this!
    Anyways, this works like a charm!