Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Animator : Update Physics & Interpolation

Discussion in 'Animation' started by mcapdegelle, Aug 15, 2019.

1. mcapdegelle

mcapdegelle

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time with mecanim.

I'm trying to do a sword combat system. I want it to be precise & deterministic even when the framerate is not stable. I want to do my collision detection & velocity update (based on the root motion data) in the fixed update.

Now the thing is a can set the animator update mode on "Animate Physics", and it would solve a lot of my problems, but the bones only update at the fixed timestep frequency. Why? It should do a full simulation in the FixedUpdate & Interpolate in the normal Update based on the remaining time right? (Just like rigid body intepolation) I don't want my character to be animated at 50Hz when the framerate is 144Hz, and I can't do slow-mo modifying the TimeScale, it's even worse.

Sooo right now, I use the animator in the Normal update mode to get smooth animation. I extract root motion & sword position sampling each attack animation clip on startup, so I can use it in the FixedUpdate. It kinda works, but It's not robust : The data will be wrong if I do IK...

Do you guys have other solutions?

2. Quadropups

Quadropups

I'd like to know the answer to this too. This feature would be indeed really useful.

3. IgnisIncendio

IgnisIncendio

unityunity