Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Animator + Timelines + root motion problem. Pls help :).

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Redux, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Redux

Redux

I'm doing some tests with a character driven by an animator with root motion and also with timelines which can run on the character which will drive the animation during the timeline playback.

Sometimes, just as during jumping, I change Animator.applyRootMotion to false and handle the motion via the physics engine for a short time.

One issue I am having is after running a timeline with an animation on it whenever the animator.applyRootMotion field is disabled, a message starts popping up saying: "unity3d root position or rotation is controlled by curves"

At this point the root motion from the base animation root motion stops being applied.

The message only begins appearing after a timeline animation has run on this character.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

Try adding an OnAnimatorMove method to a component on the same object as the Animator and having it call animator.ApplyBuiltinRootMotion() whenever you want root motion. In theory that should do the exact same thing Unity is doing anyway, but in practice it has a few differences so it might avoid that warning.