Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Animator tab shows "Cannot show controller from asset bundle" under Use Existing Build

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by dgoyette, Feb 2, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I prefer to use the "Use Existing Build" play mode script in most cases to avoid running into build errors down the road. However, if I instantiate an object with an Animator in this mode, clicking on the Animator tab only shows the follow message: "Cannot show controller from asset bundle"

upload_2020-2-2_15-26-24.png

This is in Play Mode in the editor, and I'm unable to see any of the current animation settings for that object. If I choose another play mode script, like "Use Asset Database", I can see the Animator tab properly.

Is this a known limitation?

I can't say when this has been occurring for a while or not. Any chance it's related to the 1.5.0 change "Added type conversion from AnimatorController to RuntimeAnimatorController." ? Or is this just a limitation around using this play mode script?

yty likes this.
  2. Aggressor

Aggressor

I too have this issue with Unity 2019.4.0f1

3. ProtoTerminator

ProtoTerminator

I'm guessing that's because some changes you make in the Animator window are saved/serialized even during play mode. Since that's not possible to do to a built bundle, they disallow it. I'd say that's a limitation of the Animator, not of addressables. It was a silly design decision (or un-decision). They really should just add a read-only mode for it.

ImFromTheFuture likes this.