Search Unity

Animator Problems.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by CelticKnight, Feb 26, 2015.

1. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

From the looks of things it looks like I am not the only person having problems getting the right animation to play based on player 'state'. So, if anyone from Unity it actually reading these threads a noob friendly tutorial would go down a treat right about now ;).

2. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

3. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

Yes, I have, and I found it more confusing than helpful. There were two short YouTube vids on the topic that I found from XenoSmash Games that were helpful, but, I'm at a point were nothing I try seems to work - or what I am trying to do is impossible! I don't know which, but, without further help I am unable to progress. And if someone like me - who has done straight programming before, C++, Java among other and scripting up the wazoo, and further that with GameMaker: Studio in Game Dev - is having problems understanding it, then there are going to be a lot of people not understanding it, unfortunately.

My last question on this topic was unanswered as are most of my questions, which is just leading to increasing frustration. I am supposed to be doing a course in Unity in a months time, but, since my progress is soooo slow, due to unhelpful tutorials and documentation, I am considering not doing it at all - and perhaps stop using Unity (and going back to music and martial arts). I just couldn't make the two games I am supposed too during the course, because in the almost 3 months I have had Unity I am nowhere close to even finishing a project. And one of these projects is from a book published just last year which uses legacy animation. And I would think legacy is just about to be phased out - so that was pretty much waste of time and money and only a point and click adventure :(. And the course is less than 3 months in total, no chance I would be able to pass at all :(.

And there is no tutorial on FPS which I thought would be the staple product of Unity. As that was what Unity was basically built for - but, alas nothing! And books on the topic are almost non-existent there are exactly two books in total - two :eek:. I found one that was very poor the other - the other is part 3 of another book, after a 2D game, and something else - needless to say I don't hold out much hope for that one :(. But I have to buy it just in the off chance it teaches me something - at least it will confirm whether I do the course or stop using Unity.

So, all-in-all I am having a ball ;).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Legacy is still available - even in the latest Unity 5 release! That's an awesome testament from the Unity team to keep as much legacy (animation) stuff intact so people still have the option to use the system if they want.
    If your following a project using the legacy animations system, why aren't you setting up your animations using the legacy animation system?
    Learning the legacy system, even if the legacy system eventually does get phased out, is no way a bad thing to learn. My personal opinion is you may have a better time with the legacy system simply because you are a coder and legacy is less visual (more techie) than mecanim is.
    I know several programmer/developers who can setup a legacy animation system just as robust as any can using mecanim.
    Keep at it Cknight. If your dead set on using mecanim for the project, check back over the learning information again. I've probably watched each video I can find on the subject over a dozen times and rarely set up a state machine without 2-3 bookmarked tutorials open at the same time. But that's just how I work, I know we all do things a little different.