Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Animations with 1.0 scale causing "pop" in size when transitioning to animations with no scale

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by IllTemperedTunas, Sep 13, 2018.

1. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Some of my animations have scale, and some don't here is one with a random scaling that should cause no adjustment and didn't in the prior version:

However now whenever one animation transitions to another there is a "pop" where various bones explode to massive sizes

I should note that the characters are at .1 scale. So it appears that for a single frame, Unity isn't accounting for the base scale of the objects for frames that have a 1.0 local scale in their animations.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

3. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

We are also experiencing this project. It seems to only be an issue on Blend Trees with a 1D Blend Type, at least from the experimentation we did on it last night.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It happens on 2D Directional for us. I'm guessing it's just a blend bug. Pausing the editor mid scale allowed me to see it was the same amount of scale each time, applied from the pelvis through the hierarchy of the rig.

Each bone was scaled the same amount as the parent, causing a tapering effect where each child was bigger than the parent.

This effect lasted for as long as there was a transition going on. Once the transition ended, the scale reset. So only during the transition period and only with blend trees.

Please prioritise this fix. I have gone back to 2018.2 because it is a complete show stopper for us.

sand_lantern likes this.
  5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We have a bug logged that could be behind this behaviour. To be sure, though, could you please submit a bug report + reproduction project?

hippocoder likes this.
  6. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

How secure is the code that i'm sending over in the project? I just read over the "guide to beta testing" but it doesn't mention anything about NDA for the project or even that code won't be taken and posted on the internet for all to have or repurposed for another project.

7. recursive

recursive

You can upload a different file than the project folders in the bug report (and remove your project files from being uploaded I believe) so you could archive the project in a password protected zip and hash out sending the password once the bug report team emails back.

NEVER share the link they'll give you to the fogbugz entry on the forums or anywhere else. It'll expose all your bug reports. If you need to refer to it in a forum or elsewhere use the case number only.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

you can type the case number, but directly copying the case number and pasting it, pastes the fogbugz hyperlink.

9. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

LeonhardP likes this.
  10. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Ah I see, this is potentially even more risky then i thought to send code in a bug report! Maybe there should be a more clear warning about this stuff.

If after the next beta update this issue is persisting i'll try to get into contact with Unity and see if we could do a secure transfer. I got my project scaled down and somewhat ready to send but a little wary of exposing myself to the internet XD

11. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

If the problem occurs when transitioning from an animation state to a blend tree, then it's most likely the same issue we have logged.

IllTemperedTunas likes this.
  12. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

This sounds exactly like what's happening.

hippocoder likes this.
  13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Any idea which beta the fix will land in? we cannot test the betas until that point as it's quite game breaking for us.

14. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

They don't have a fix yet. I wouldn't expect it before b4.

hippocoder likes this.
  15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks for the heads up, will make other plans.

16. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Ha, never mind my prediction. It is already fixed in b2.

hippocoder and IllTemperedTunas like this.
  17. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Good to hear! May just chance upgrading the project in the near future if it works on the next release.

hippocoder likes this.
  18. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

Downloaded 2018.3.0b2 this morning. It seems that my issues were cleared up with it! Thanks for the quick turnaround on this one :)

hippocoder likes this.
  19. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Mine too! Ran into an isolated animation issue messing up pooled respawned prefabs having some leftover incorrect rotations after death, but was able to fix that by zapping a few mostly unnecessary rotations in our death animation.

Confident enough in the beta at this point i'm making the jump to upgrade my project. Nested prefabs and prefab variants are going allow me to FINALLY start truly making content and for my game which will make it come together in the next couple weeks.

Fingers crossed it doesn't totally suck :D!

Agreed on the impressive turn around times for these fixes, pretty impressive. Considering the volume or new features i'm surprised things are going so smoothly.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    hippocoder likes this.
  20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

GIMMIE! <3

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Quite marvellous. It all works. I'm even enjoying improved prefabs but don't tell @runevision

runevision likes this.