Search Unity

Question Animations not playing properly and at 45°???

Discussion in 'Animation' started by ElMagnifico, Sep 12, 2020.

1. ElMagnifico

ElMagnifico

I have not one, but several issues:

1. animation rotation and looping

First attempt, using a Mixamo rig and animations, dropped because I cannot edit mixamo animations and he RootMotion setting in them:

This is my second attempt, using a new custom rig and animations made in Blender. Normal walk cycle, there is no rotation in the animation. Yet for some reason, not only is the character at a 45° for some reason, bu his walk animation is not playing (but the AI in the background does play the walk cycle. Still at 45° for some reason)

AS you can see here in blender, character is looking forward while walking.

But it's at a 45° angle when I look the animation in Unity????

2. melee attack
    The second issue is melee attack animation. It is set in a new animation layer with an avatar mask, that so only upper body is affected (the animation is a rifle butt swing). It is activated by a trigger, but for some reason it is always on and it doesn't loop, character is stuck in end frame. Wiedrly enough, even when I specifically dissallow it's trigger, it was still active. I had to delete the layer.
    Even stranger, the reload is set up exactly the same as melee, and it works without issues.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  2. dibdab

dibdab

1. unity as default takes hip as root transform, and because in the animation starts with hip 45`R, it is rotated.
    add [in the root transform rotation:] orientation offset 45 (and usually good practice to bake too.)

2. try looping the animation
    or might be the case if anim doesn't play on base layer
    or use full-body rigs, one base layer (that way blend-trees are a possibility) and for performance reasons too

3. ElMagnifico

ElMagnifico

Yep, offset fix it.

Looping still doesnt' work.

My PlayerMovementController is sending this in the Fixed Update:
    animator.SetFloat("speed", (FacingSide() * rigidBC.velocity.z) / sneakSpeed);

and this is used to trigger the transition to walk anim, which is set to loop:
    https://i.postimg.cc/qMc80B5y/loop.jpg