Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Animations don't work when converting a Generic rig to a Humanoid rig!

Discussion in 'Animation' started by LeeJBaxter, Nov 7, 2017.

1. LeeJBaxter

LeeJBaxter

Hi,

I've produced a character using MakeHuman and Blender, and for the purposes of using bone-driven facial animations I've used the "Default" rig which has extra bones for the face. So far, I've created a test animation that uses the extra bones to portray a sequence of expressions. When I import the character into Unity, the animation that I created works perfectly!

However, I need to use the Humanoid rig to use a bunch of motion assets that I've bought from the store. When I go into the import settings for my character and switch the rig from "Generic" to "Humanoid", the humanoid animations work perfectly!

Or at least, they do until I go back to the facial animation I created. If I drop the animation onto the character, I get eye and jaw movement, but the rest of the movement is gone! I'm stumped at this point; it's almost as though the animation is only being applied to the bones that the Humanoid rig uses, but I don't know how I could get past this problem...

closingiris likes this.
  2. LeeJBaxter

LeeJBaxter

Okay, I found the solution, so I'll post it here for anyone who runs into the same problem!!!

The problem is the mask that's applied to the animation on the import settings, which as I pointed out restricts the animation to the bones that apply to the Humanoid Rig. I fixed the problem by editing the "Mask" within the import settings. I used "Create from this model" as the definition, then ticked the check-boxes for the bones that my animation applies to. Now I have an emotional character who can walk and run at the same time!!!

3. mylesb

mylesb

You are a legend, looked for 2 days!

unityunity