Search Unity

Animations do not look right on humanoid while look fine on generic

Discussion in 'Animation' started by a_desilva, Jul 25, 2014.

1. a_desilva

a_desilva

Our animations for some reason never seem to match perfectly in Unity when compared to the Maya files.

When the rig is set up as humanoid on some animations the right arm will randomly begin to spin / twist in an extreme fashion.

For some reason when setting the rig instead to generic everything looks fine.

Any ideas as to how we could resolve this issue? Or would we be better off switching all animations to generic?

What are the pluses and minuses to setting up our playable character as humanoid vs generic?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. MikeErty

MikeErty

If I'm right then generic rigs are kind of 1:1 animation data. It's hard-wired in there and it won't move in playback. Which is a strength and a weakness.
    The humanoid rig is a lot more... enthusiastic. It takes the animation data and applies other things to it - which gives you the ability to do some fancy dynamic stuff using mecanim.
    Practically, in my experience, it can be very hard to get the accuracy you want using Mecanim, but not impossible. It's all in the import settings really.

I've been using humanoid rigs intensively all year and it's often a case of going back and isolating what has gone wrong. And often there is no logical reason for something not working right.
    As I type I'm trying to fix a problem I have with a finger poking out at the wrong angle in Unity while the max file version is perfectly aligned.

My advice for the arm would be to start a brand new project, export your animation/character out fresh and see if it still does it.
    If it does, it could well be a problem with your heirarchy in Maya, have you checked in the avatar configure window that the arm is definitely assigned to the corresponding slot? I've had arms think they're legs before.

When I import my animations I go to the import settings and change scale to 1.
    Mesh compression off.
    normals import
    tangents calculate
    In the RIG tab I make sure the avatar it's using is the one I have set up for my main character.

in the ANIMATION tab i make sure the 3 Root transform bits are all set to Original and bake into pose is checked.
    I also usually have animation compression turned off.

these settings help me get closer to 1:1 animation with humanoid though still I have some issues with mecanim ignoring some axis of motnion on some bones or forgetting twist links etc.

No idea if this will help but it's drove me mad for months and months and sometimes it seems like nobody else in the world has any problems with mecanim etc :(

3. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Hi guys,

There is a few rule that you must follow if you want your animation to match more closely.
    Take a look at this blog
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/26/mecanim-humanoids/
    It will give you some rule to follow to get better result.

Keep in mind that the Humanoid Rig cannot cover 100% of all the rig out there

OllyNicholson likes this.