Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Animations, Animations and more ANIMATIONS !!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GWPGearWorx, May 12, 2007.

1. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Hello all;

I have yet to purchase a Mac and a Unity Pro license. I am in the process of saving up for these items, I spent the companies budget on lesser products, before I even knew about Unity, damn it ;)

I almost bought a Dell 710 maxed out too.... I am glad I waited.

Oh well the damage is done and I will be in the wonderful world of Mac Unity owners very soon.

Anyway back to the question at hand, Animation blending in Unity? It is there. Basically what I mean is, say I have the player running, and then he pulls out a gun and starts to shoot. How would that scenario work in Unity in regards to a Maya animator such as I?

Can I animate a walk cycle, then a shoot cycle and then have Unity blend the two together?

The reason I ask is, the game I am designing is HEAVY on animations. I want to know what limits I have with Unity in regards to this, also if anyone can point me in the direction of Maya animation tutorial for Unity so I can see how this all comes together that would be great.

Thanks for your time.

Steve

2. AaronC

AaronC

Heya Steve,
    Ive had an look and it looks really openended. You could download a few project files from here:
    http://unity3d.com/examples/index.html
    And check out the animation files. Obviously you cant use them in unity yet but you'll get to see the animation files used, and naming conventions etc.

Thats what I'd do if I were you
    hth
    AC

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Take look at the docs here:
    http://unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/Character-Animation.html

Basically you can do all the blending, mixing, layering and additive animations as you like, with as many animations being blended together as you want. On top of that you can add in procedural animation if you like.
    The animation system is very powerful and flexible.

When importing from Maya you can use IK in Maya and Unity bakes it into FK animation data for you.

On the skinning side you can have each vertex be influenced by up to 4 bones.

4. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Thanks guys for the help, I apologize, I could of found that if I dug a little deeper, thats what I love about unity, the detailed documents, and the helpful community.

Thanks again

Steve

5. podperson

podperson

It's even better than the Unity guys say!

You can actually pick pieces of your hierarchy and apply animations just to them -- so you can grab the left arm animation from one sequence and the right arm animation from another sequence and layer them on top of a walking animation... etc. Very very flexible.