Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Animation wrongly oriented

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Neikke, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Neikke

Neikke

Hi,

I'm importing FBX model with some very simple animation in it (it's a tree falling down). I imported and defined clips (takes) and in the project viewport when I place it i the scene - it's fine. But at the runtime the tree always 90 degree rotated on X axis. How to deal with that? Please help!

2. Homicide

Homicide

Well, short of having hands on knowledge of what the animation is , and how its configured, one thing i might recommend, is try creating an empty game object, that IS oriented properly, and add the animated object as a child to that object. This can sometimes prevent the issue you seem to be experiencing.

Its really hard to make an accurate call though, without first hand knowledge of all that is involved.

One last thing, when you import an animation, there is a bunch of configuration settings that will allow you to set orientations and positions (although i'm sure this isn't going to completely alleviate your issue, its worth looking into later)

3. Homicide

Homicide

Actually, i was thinking about this a little...? I have a question for you. Is this animation custom made by you? And if so , is it made in 3ds max?

Either way, if it is a custom made animation fbx exported from some other modelling tool, and it wasn't specifically designed for unity, i would recommend checking the world alignment within your modelling agent.

For eg: 3ds max at default has its z direction running along the upward and downward directions, which means you need to rotate the pivot alignment. Just one more thing to keep in mind.

4. Neikke

Neikke

Hey thanks for replying! Yes. it's a simple tree falling animation - I made it in Max. Actually you're right, I completely forgot that Max has Z as up axis, while Unity's up axis is Y.. So I think I should try rotating pivot and then re-exporting.

Homicide likes this.