Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for your feedback on the platforms you use and how you use them. Let us know!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Animation with JPG vs Animation with PNG? To Sprite or not to sprite

Discussion in 'Animation' started by unity_bsOZ4yysn3jGEQ, May 15, 2018.

1. unity_bsOZ4yysn3jGEQ

unity_bsOZ4yysn3jGEQ

I have a 3D project but there are a couple of 2D animations. These animation are only a few frames. I originally had them as several JPGs on quads, with the animator flipping them on and off. I have been looking at making them into a sprite animation. But I need some transparency, so they have to be PNG. The PNG are maybe 3-4x the size of the JPG. For the 27 frames its not really a big deal to add to the extra Download, BUT I also have a video that is like 130 frames. I made it my self and could render it out to png and add the transparency, then make a sprite too.

The bottom line question is, what am I saving myself by doing all this extra work and adding to the DL size?