Search Unity

Animation Window Keyframes Disappear When Entering Play Mode

Discussion in 'Animation' started by avive_jellybtn, May 15, 2018.

1. avive_jellybtn

avive_jellybtn

Hi @ Unity Forum,

One of our technical artists has bumped into a very strange issue while editing an animation.
    He simply started by editing an existing animation in the Animation Window and then hit the Play button.
    Immediately after clicking Play a part of the the animation window keyframes disappeared.
    It seems like some sort of a mask is hiding them because some of the keyframes are only partially visible and playing around with the zoom of the animation window can hide/show keyframes.
    The issue reproduces on Unity 2017.3.1p1
    I've attached a video and a screenshot that demonstrates the issue.

Anyone else bumped into this issue?

Thanks,
    Aviv.

Michaela_Human likes this.
  2. Michaela_Human

Michaela_Human

This keeps happening to me too! If I shut unity down and reopen it the keyframes reappear until I press play again!

3. Michaela_Human

Michaela_Human

4. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi,

We're looking at the bug on our side. There seems to be issues with the rendering context when switching to play mode and it affects the animation window in this case. This is a refresh issue and it shouldn't mess up your curve data otherwise.

You can refer to the link posted in this thread to follow up on the progress :)

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

This Issue appears to have resurfaced In 2017.4.13

protopop likes this.
  6. protopop

protopop

Me too in Unity 2017.4.13

The keyframes disappear when i press play.

Does anyone know if its fixed in a newer version of 2017.4?

7. protopop

protopop

I found the issue and talk about it here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/whi...h-timeline-and-keyframes.583639/#post-3894568

Here's a copy paste:

If your Main Camera is not at 0,0,0 position and rotation, when you press play, the animation curves will not show in timeline.

The more offset from 0 the initial camera position is, the more the curves will be obscured.

This must be the problem described on this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/animation-window-keyframes-disappear-when-entering-play-mode.531549/ where the curves are obscured to varying degrees

Resetting your camera to 0,0,0 solves the problem, but that isnt always possible in most setups.

For example, CinemachineBrain might force your camera into a starting position other than 0,0,0. You can disable the CinemachineBrain script on your camera to allow you to reset the transform (you cant do this while the script is active becaue it forces the position to a chosen position), then press play to get your curves back until you enable the cinemachine script again or move the camera.

So this is pretty harmful to the workflow and im not sure what the solution is, but maybe this will help find a solution?

8. protopop

protopop

Here's a screenshot curves.jpg

9. protopop

protopop

One more note - the position of the animation window display in the timeline is offset by the same offset as the camera position, so in this screenshot the camera is at x 100 y 100, and the curves are actually moved over by x 100 and up by y 100 - the display position and camera position are linked

offest.jpg

10. Sethhall01

Sethhall01

How are the keyframe visibility issues still not resolved??? This is a severe workflow issue. Absolutely terrible!!!

I am using Unity 2018.2.13

I have to play the game in order to see the changes of what I'm working on. Workflow goes like this, at present...

Play the game, review it, take notes on what needs to be addressed.
    Stop playback of the game.
    Save my scene.
    Close Unity.
    Re-launch Unity.
    Tweak my keyframes based on notes.
    Play the game, rinse, repeat.

Seriously? This is ridiculous bullshit. It is taking me hours upon hours to complete my work because I have to keep closing unity after every playback of the game.

Please fix this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  11. protopop

protopop

Do the curves come back in the ui if you move your camera position to 0,0,0 and disable the timeline temporarily so that it does not start the camera at a position other than 0,0,0?

12. 30000fps

30000fps

Having this issue with Unity 2017.4.18 (OSX)

All keyframes in the animation panel disappear from the timeline immediately after clicking to play the scene. Once this happens the animation panel becomes completely useless since there's no way to view or edit your keyframes again.

Claims to be Fixed in Unity 2018.3 however in many cases upgrading versions mid-project is out of the question.

As stated, quitting Unity and reloading the project temporarily brings keyframes back into view. That is, until the scene is played and then they're invisible again. Quitting and reloading the entire project each time you need to edit keyframes is a quick path towards insanity...

"Resetting your camera to 0,0,0 solves the problem, but that isn't always possible in most setups." – Protopop

Based on this I came up with this slightly less maddening (& still ridiculous) workaround to bring keyframes back into view:
    1. Add a new Camera to the scene
    2. Position at 0,0,0
    3. Enable the new Camera and disable all other Cameras
    4. Play and exit scene
    5. Disable new Camera and enable your original Camera
    Keyframes are now visible and editable again. Repeat steps 3-5 again whenever playing and exiting the scene causes keyframes to disappear.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019