Search Unity

Animation View Video Tutorial

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by antenna-tree, May 4, 2010.

1. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Hey Everyone,

Joe Robins has put together a series of videos on how to use the "new" Animation View introduced in Unity 2.6.

In this 3 part video series Joe Robins goes through the details of the Animation View and shows how you can animate much more than just transforms in Unity. Learn how to use Animation Events, edit imported animations, and even create game logic with the Animation View.

Section 1 - The Animation View
    An introduction to the Animation View and how to create animations in Unity.

Section 2 - Animation Events
    Learn how to create Events in your animations that can trigger scripts, sounds, and other animations.

Section 3 - Editing Imported Animations
    Learn how to edit your imported animations in Unity.

You can also watch our videos on Vimeo.

Enjoy!

2. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Brilliant, I was wondering how to use that part of Unity3d. This will halp bundles. Thanks for the post :D.

3. Discord

Discord

Great! Definitely something I could use some tutorials for. I always felt like I could never use that animation editor to the best of its capabilities.

4. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

If you get no player controls (like me, windows 64 bit system?)
    right click and "save as Quicktime Movie"
    to watch from your hard drive with controls.

5. SemaphoreStudios

SemaphoreStudios

I have a third person character and I want to him to be able to vault over a short wall to the other side.

I created the actual animation in Max as in-place animation and then using the animation view in Unity I moved him in actual space (to vault forward). It works fine but the problem is that forward is a hard-coded value (according to the animation view) and it is not player-relative.

How can I make it player relative?

6. Discord

Discord

I've wondered that too. The only thing I could get to work was to set the object I was animating to be a child of an empty gameobject. That way I could zero out the objects coordinates to the empty GO and make all the animations relative to the empty GO. If that makes sense. I'm not sure if that works in all situations however.

7. SemaphoreStudios

SemaphoreStudios

I see what you are trying to do, but the problem is that I am animating the x,y,z of the character controller itself which resides on the top-most object in the hierarchy and changing that will be very problematic at this point.

Any other thoughts?

8. MitchStan

MitchStan

Can't watch videos on either of my mac's. Empty viewer shows up with a quicktime icon and question mark.

And this in on both mac's (mac book pro and mac mini). Both have QT installed and I have played QT files before with no issue.

Is something amiss with the links?

9. HJP

HJP

I have the same problem watching the videos on my Macs ...

10. defjr

defjr

Try the vimeo link at the bottom of the OP...

11. hsparra

hsparra

Nice videos, thank you for putting them together.

I had to go to the Vimeo link though. Unity should fix their site so that the videos work there. Someone going to that page just gets a blank "window" that pops up instead of a video.

12. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Sorry for the videos not working properly on our site.... our web guy is working on a fix.

13. Fluffy-Tails

Fluffy-Tails

Will you post these videos on YouTube or a mobile suited site?

I can't view them on Vimeo from an iPhone.

14. defjr

defjr

There's a link on vimeo videos to switch to the HTML5 player... Did you try that?

edit: nevermind, i just tried to load one up and it doesn't work heh :oops:

15. Fluffy-Tails

Fluffy-Tails

That's why I asked :3

Anyway, any plans to give mobile/iPhone users the ability to watch the videos?

16. RHD

RHD

I shall watch these as soon as I can. Thank you!
    I've sort of figured a bit out by trial and error but proper tutorials will help a lot!