Search Unity

Animation Type in 2.5D Side Scroller

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by sami1592, Feb 10, 2015.

1. sami1592

sami1592

PLOT: in our game the character, enemy, intractable objects will be 3d. may be the background will be 2d
    character will be humanoid.will walk, jump, rope climbing ... mainly he will solve puzzle to get to his goal.
    decided to use mocap data.

QUES: but one ques about animation type, should my animator have apply root motion checked or unchecked?

so what is apply root motion? basically if the animation have motion in it, checking the apply root motion in the animator will move the character in the game. For example if walk animation has motion in it, by playing the walk animation state my player will move forward without using transform/velocity from script.

PROBLEM: seems good enough, but if a mocap jump animation has a jump of 1 meter but i need a jump of 10 meter what i should do?

PS: if this is not the right thread pls kindly direct me to the right section and i will delete this thread :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This should be posted in animation so if you want to move it there you can.
    Regarding your animation setup, root motion is well documented so I'll let you find that answer on your own.

Regarding the jump you mentioned, if you have a 1 meter jump animation and you want to multiply that - it can be done via code, but I think a 1 meter to a 10 meter jump may look 'odd'. I would suggest getting an animation that is a longer jump. When a person is jumping there max distance they put a lot of wind-up and power into it, compared to a 1 meter jump which isn't a huge leap. Will probably need a custom animation created or at the very least a 'BIG' jump mocap animation which you can multiply the transformation to equal 10 meters.