Search Unity

Question Animation Transition: Unexpected 360° Rotation on Left Hand

Discussion in 'Animation' started by emarc, Jun 15, 2022.

1. emarc

emarc

Hi,
    I am using Animations from Mixamo (Rifle 8-Way Locomotion Pack) in a 2D Blend Tree.
    When transitioning from "walk forward" to "run forward", the character's left hand rotates by approximately 360°. When transitioning further from "run forward" to "sprint forward", it rotates back.
    In my 2D Blend Tree, about half of the animations (all run animations and "walk right" and "walk backward left") seem to have the same issue.
    The same rotation occurs when using a 1D Blend Tree or just a transition from "walk forward" to "run forward".
    WalkToRun_RotatingLeftHand.png

The quaternions on the "Left_Hand" bone seem to be very similar on "walk forward" and "run forward":
    WalkToRun_QuaternionsLeftHand.png

What can cause this issue?
    How can I fix it?

Thanks!

2. arfish

arfish

Hi,

Are all of your animations using the same rig?

3. emarc

emarc

All of them use the same humanoid rig from an existing avatar (that's the one from the Starter Assets Character Controller). Here's a screenshot showing the combined importer settings for "walk forward" and "run forward": WalkToRun_Rig.png

4. arfish

arfish

Maybe one of the animations are broken?
    Perhaps the hand can be masked from the broken animation.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-Avatar.html

Or use some 3d modelling/animation application to fix it if the hand animation is important for the blend state.

5. emarc

emarc

Hi,
    just as a follow-up:
    Last week I had the chance to work on this problem again - after many tries I used the Upload Character option in Mixamo which eventually fixed the problem. I always thought it was just for making the previews match your own character, but it seems to have an impact on the generated animations as well.

Thanks for your other suggestions!