Search Unity

Official Animation Status Update (Q4 2022)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by UnityChinny, Dec 21, 2022.

1. ThynkTekStudio

ThynkTekStudio

i kinda agree with you, showing a bit of gratitude and support for the team working on the tools is not going to cost anything.

so yeahh, thank you for your work that sometimes goes unappreciated

IllTemperedTunas likes this.
  2. UnityChinny

UnityChinny

Unity Technologies

Hi IllTemperedTunas

Thanks for taking the time to express your thoughts on how we could streamline things, it is very much inline with our thinking too!
    As for your T Pose popping issue, I personally can't guide you on a solution for that (maybe someone else can) but will say that this is also very much on our radar.

I am still unable to provide anything definitive on features or timeline, and know that it must be frustrating - so sorry I don't have better news at this time, but I am positive it will be worth the wait.

However these posts do continue to help us, especially when we receive the odd kind word. It goes further than you think ;)

3. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

For the T-Pose popping issue, have you tried using Additive Animation Frame Reference? it's on animation import panel.
    - Skip frame 0 in animation import settings, and ensure it loop properly on animation preview
    - Set frame 0 as Additive Animation Frame Ref for the exact animation clip

4. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

I'll be damned... took me a bit to find it because you have to go into "Debug mode" in the inspector to expose the darned thing!
    upload_2023-5-15_19-17-30.png
    I totally revamped my animation structures so I could get around this issue, but this will be very good to know moving forward! And now I see that I could have had a blank T pose for use in all aditive animations... Oh well, at least now I know, thanks for the heads up, Reanimate_L

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  5. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

i mean in animation import settings
    upload_2023-5-16_15-6-7.png

6. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

I see, in my project i'm using universal animations generated in unity so no importing of animations specific to models for me, but you did lead me to settings within these animations that appear to do the same thing.

7. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

oooh i see. That sounds like UX issue then
    @ChinnyBJ i think we need some of those parameters in the debug mode to be exposed in normal mode, especially for unity made animations?

8. Unifikation

Unifikation

Is there a new name for this Animation System?

If not, could you give it a unique name, not Animation, not Timeline, not Animator, something utterly unique and odd of context, but referential, like "Shuriken" was given to the old particle system - that made identifying it very easy, discussing it clear, and finding documentation and online references and information incredibly easy, and fun.

Greexonn and mariandev like this.
  9. bobadi

bobadi

ThynkTekStudio likes this.
  10. SolarianZ

SolarianZ

Hi @ChinnyBJ ,

I would like to ask if the Animator system (and its dependent Animation Playable) is still being actively developed, and when the "Animation Status Update (Q1 or Q2 2023)" will be released?

I am asking this question for the following reasons:
    1. There is no mention of development plans for Animation in the Unity roadmap for 2023.
    2. It has been a long time since Unity official developers responded in the Animation channel of the forum.
    3. I have recently submitted many bug reports for Animation Playable, and these bug reports have been confirmed. The 4 bug reports that have received replies are all marked as Won't Fix because the scope of the impact is too large and the developers lack the resources.

Thank you!

Endlesser, jwinn and Unifikation like this.
  11. Unifikation

Unifikation

Agreed!

When it comes to bugs in the Playables area, someone else that might be able to chime in with his own knowledge and experiences, which are extensive, is @Kybernetik as he's built an entire framework for sane animation control with it.

12. UnityChinny

UnityChinny

Unity Technologies

Hi @SolarianZ

I will be doing an update only the week after next, as I am on vacation. I will address your questions then. Long story short for your 3rd question, is that we are reluctantly marking some issues as won't fix, in order to focus on the new system. This is a hard decision which we don't take lightly, understanding that we can't realistically address every issue that is logged; however we absolutely do try and fix critical issues with the current animation system whenever we can, such as crashes, regressions and blockers.
    Not ideal, but I want to be as transparent as I can on this.

Chinny

13. ggama

ggama

So, we're months away from another year passing since this last update and still nothing...
    :)

14. DatCong

DatCong

=)) what u waiting from unity

15. Unifikation

Unifikation

This animation system is going to be epically good at slow motion. That's a given, at this point.