Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Animation speed

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by htwarrior, Oct 10, 2006.

1. htwarrior

htwarrior

Hi , I need to make the animation speed of my character independent of the frame rate. I have tried : animation["latigo3"].speed = Time.deltaTime; but my animation runs slower whe the frame rate is higher.

Hope somebody could help me

htwarrior

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

animation playback speed is already independent of frame rate thus, don't modify the animation speed variable at all and it will work fine.

3. htwarrior

htwarrior

But I observe that my animations runs slower in when I have more frame rate.My models have a rigidbody attach with the isKinematic property checked and no gravity . My world has a scale of 1 and my models of 160 . Is this the problem?

htwarrior

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Doesn't sound like that would cause a problem. Maybe some scripts still modify the playback speed? Maybe it just looks like it slows down, but it's really just a lower frame rate? By how much does it slow down?

5. htwarrior

htwarrior

Hi, I need to modify the speed of the animation of my model proportional to its velocity.How can I do this in a frame independent way?

thanks
    htwarrior

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Animation playback is always frame rate independent.

To make it eg. twice as fast you write:
    Code (csharp):
    2. animation["theAnimation"].speed = 2.0;
    Code (csharp):
    2. function Update ()
    3. {
    4.    var speed = rigidbody.velocity.magnitude;
    5.    animation["theAnimation"].speed = speed;
    6. }
    The Mathf.InverseLerp function is a useful utility function for remapping speed. In the Character Animation example project there is also an example that modifies the playback speed of run / walk cycles for the character.

7. htwarrior

htwarrior

Thanks I got the idea

HTwarrior