Search Unity

animation software

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Mikie, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie

Any recomendations for animation software. Something cheaper than Maya, 3dsmax.

2. DanielFF

DanielFF

Blender

3. ShadyAlien

ShadyAlien

Blender

4. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Blender will win hands down, because it does everything pretty well...just be advised, it has a slight learning curve. Do the tutorials!

5. Mikie

Mikie

Thanks, for the info. Anyone use Iclone? I am trying to learn Blender. None trivial.

6. Amon

Amon

Modo601
    FragMotion
    Milkshape3D

7. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Daz Studio Pro is free. I would suggest Blender, though.

8. HolBol

HolBol

Blender is the main thing everyone will suggest- and I will too. It's an excellent tool.

9. Amon

Amon

Blender is ok if you don't mind ripping out your hair and eyeballs to learn it.

10. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Yes, it is some of the more annoying software to use and learn, but it is the best software for the price.

11. Animize

Animize

iClone is a great solution for character animation, character design and props. You can import any FBX and remap the bones to iClone's HumanIK rig and use all the animation tools including motion puppet, Kinect mocap and motion editing to animate your characters. We've created a new video tutorial demo series for iClone and Unity (disclaimer: I work for Reallusion) You can view all the tutorials on my blog http://blog.reallusion.com/imported...eo-training-3d-characters-animation-prop.html

Here's a trailer for all your can do with iClone and Unity.
    http://youtu.be/_QE88Gfz8Xg

12. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

DAZ Carrara is a nice app, not free but also not expensive. IMO one of the easiest to learn and use. I use it with Blender (Blender's modeling tools are hard to beat IMO).

@Amon - FragMotion's still around? Wow, I used that a long, long time ago. How compatible with Unity's FBX is it?

13. n0mad

n0mad

If you have 900$, Cinema 4D Prime is perfect.
    Worked 4 years on very complex animations with it, and absolutely recommend it.

14. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Saying that blender has a slight learning curve is kind of like saying Mt. Everest is a slight bump.

15. chrisall76

chrisall76

I learned blender in a few tutorials, just takes some time to get used to all the shortcuts.

16. Mikie

Mikie

Animize, does Iclone do rigging?

17. vidi

vidi

Not directly in iClone, but DAZ studo pro is a very nice free rigging Tool, Not complicated like as blender, and with 3Dxchangepipeline Version and iClone is Charakter animation easy and fun for everyone.

18. TechnicianStudios

TechnicianStudios

but dont you have to pay for iColne and for the FBX exporting plug ins? thats what i saw when i downloaded a demo for iClone a few months back

19. Mikie

Mikie

My question is what do I need to buy from Reallusion to create an avatar with animations and export the fbx file to use in 4b7? Can I use the animations and model in a game that will be sold?

20. goat

goat

iClone5 3DXchange

http://www.reallusion.com/store/purchase_ic.aspx

Some content is free to use but only after you buy it. In this case you must check the individual license for each content product that you buy and possibly pay extra for a game license.

21. Mikie

Mikie

HI Goat,

OK, I did get the trials for iClone and 3dxchange. Created a model with Daz Studio and imported it into edxchange, then exported it. Loaded it into 4b7. Bad T-pose. Large number faces. When I take it directly from Daz Studio it works OK. Only have 15 exports from edxchange.

22. goat

goat

Yes, I've avoided installing and using the trial from Reallusion because it's 30 days and 15 exports. They have some videos that shows it working fine but of course it depends on the model. I'm waiting to really put it the test and edit a face shape on a model to see if it's as easy and works as well as it appears.

And out of all the software I've tried to use to export a model from that I've bought (3D Max, Cinema 4D, Maya, DAZ 3D, Poser) DAZ does does it best. Hands down and easily. The only problem is the models are too big but I'm been recommended to use Ultimate UV Unwrapper for $60. I read too much about DAZ's Decimator to buy it for $99. I did create one model in Blender but I can't earnestly say I've used Blender models in Unity. I did help one guy troubleshoot his Blender animation in Unity but that's it.

This stuff adds up after a while.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  23. Mikie

Mikie

Goat, have you purchased the decimator in Daz Studio?

24. okm1123

okm1123

Blender is free easy to be downloaded and in my opinion its easiest than 3dmax because my cousin had 3d max and it was too hard.

25. ev3d

ev3d

Ok, Which versions do you need? cause it looks like you need 3DXchange5 Pipeline ($500) and don't know what version of iClone is needed.. but that looks (unless i am mistaken) to be a minimum cost of $600.. am i wrong?

26. BlackKnight

BlackKnight

I recommend Iclone for ease of use and best bang for your hard earned Dollar!!! Man there something going on there with that product plus you get the chance to use kinetic to use yourself as the Animation for any creature or character you model yourself or download from their market place. Takes to long with other products like max , maya, soft image , light wave or modo etc... Iclone is a god send when it comes to animation. There price tag is awesome too

27. BlackKnight

BlackKnight

Pipeline is what you want it has both animation exports FBX and BVH. The others are worthless.

28. BlackKnight

BlackKnight

I can now use Max to export static or animated FBX and import it into iclone animate the model then export it to iclone FBX and bingo one animated model in no time at all!!!

But you could use any 3d modeller to import obj static model into iclone and animate then export to iclone FBX. Then into your game engine of choice Udk or unity etc.. Torque needs DAE. But that can be fixed by using Uv unwrap 3d just import FBX then covert to DAE. And done.

29. BlackKnight

BlackKnight

And yes you can rig in iclone!