Search Unity

Animation Rigging: Workflows?

Discussion in 'Animation Previews' started by sinjinn, Feb 8, 2020.

1. sinjinn

sinjinn

Hello.
    I'm very interested in Animation Rigging, to the point where I've ignored Mecanim/Animator. However, I think Animation rigging is a little bit tied to mecanim? is that the best way to use it?

Is there alternative ways. You see I don't wan't to learn the old systems, only if they are used by the new systems, so am holding off learning traditional animation. I don't know the intended workflow because I am a biginner in animating, so if The Developers can give a list or map of a good decent workflow, such as:

1.Bring in already rigged charachter with animations.
    2. Put them in a state machine or use it other way ( maybe more detail here)
    3. This is the areas to study. etc.

I've just imported the ninja project from september. The previous one was all magenta, because of the changes, maybe I should import that again. I'll probably try to figure this out today. But I'm going to leave this here to report my findings, they'll be equivelent to that of a confused chimps, but it's important to try.

2. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi sinjinn,

Mecanim (State Machine) and Animation Rigging aim to address different problems, so there is no reason to overlook it. Animation Rigging is used as a post process step to your animation (either driven by State Machine, Timeline, or your own PlayableGraph) so you can add constraints to your character.

3. sinjinn

sinjinn

Oh right. Maybe one of these big Youtubers can do something here. It's kind of difficult to get a hold of some kind of map on the subject, like a flow chart.

However, to report on my project, I have the ninja rig running, and today, after a week of being diverted into Shader Graph, which is amazing, I have the ninja standing infront of a spiral, and I duplicated him... and now I guess I want to add my own animations to him, or make him move, or something. Progress has definitly been made.

4. wimachtendink

wimachtendink

5. sinjinn

sinjinn

I dont think so. I think it's just early days. There's nothing indepth on Unity Learn about Animation rigging in a pipeline, just the basics for now. Maybe by 2020.1 they are ready, and provide more beginner friendly tutorials.

I got 12 months of learn premium from a youtuber for subscribing, also, in one of the recent talks on input or graphics or something, the guy is giving away 3 months voucher if you want to try it.

unityunity