Search Unity

Animation Rigging Package and Humanoid avatars problems

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by Mauro1965, Mar 27, 2020.

1. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

My suspicion is Unity can not reflect back modifications of Unity work to an FBX.

2. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

And the heavens ring!
    upload_2021-5-3_19-11-25.png
    In my case I moved the Animator and rig builder down to the actual start of the rig itself and now I move things correctly in the timeline.
    The Robot-S... GO had some data in it the Unity could not handle. FBXs come that way in many cases. Childing them to another GO will only exacerbate the problem.
    So far so good. I now delve into timeline animations. IK baking.
    I still can not achieve moving the IK target in play to get the bone chain to follow.
    Sometimes this worked before but now it doesnt and I havent found the repeatable process yet.
    Its one of those 'It works when it works and doesnt when it doesnt.'

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  3. theplayer1124

theplayer1124

hi, I am new to unity and working on a third-person shooter, I had used animation rigging to aim the character spine irrespective of idle animation to where the player gun is pointing, but I am facing weird issues all my animations are humanoid, the issue is that when I get into play mode the character is not pointing to where the object is. link to video showing problem
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JnC3_7UUIJBXuOks0ewH-NGkxCRtS8E7/view?usp=sharing

4. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

Your import is incorrect in relation to the animation. Most problems fall into this category. Check your Z axis direction.

5. theplayer1124

theplayer1124

I am not able to get it pls explain in detail

6. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

I dont work for Unity. My explanation is very concise and poignant. Take the key words and search them out. If my explanation is not understandable then your next problem will be even larger. What is the creation package of the model that you are importing? Unity doesn't not do rigging bones. Check out Blender, Mixamo and Umotion. This all I have to say about this as the model parameters are far too great in number to just think pressing a few buttons will do the trick. The import and rigging process is complicated and ill defined. It all starts with the model. Start there.

7. silentslack

silentslack

Hi,

I seem to be having the same problem of using the Rig Builder with a Humanoid Rig. We are working with a generic set of animations right now so humanoid rig is a must. When we are blending the weight of an Two-Bone IK constrain in Timeline we are getting weird flipping going on even though all Avatar IK on Mecanim/Timeline is turned off.

Is this likely to be fixed anytime soon Unity!? Seems like a pretty severe limitation that Rig Builder can't be used with Humanoid Rigs.

8. GarrettF

GarrettF

Hey everybody, I had a similar issue with Animation Rigging and a Humanoid character I created in Blender. When I added the Animation Rigging to my character and added a simple Lookat/Head aim with a multi aim constraints, my character would float high up above the ground and then fall through it if I moved.

I read through these forum posts (and there are a lot) and nothing was working until I went in to "Configure Avatar" and then selected the root/main bone in the hierarchy and saw that it was scaled up to 100. Setting this to 1 completely fixed it.

Now I'd like to mention a couple things that will hopefully help people. When you import an FBX, from Blender (I haven't used any other 3D modelling software) the scale in Unity form the FBX is always 100 (even when you "Set scale" in Blender). The FBX file itself (when brought into the scene) might say 1 or 100. So go into the FBX file in your project and select the "Model" tab. Then set the "Scale Factor" to 100. Then you'll have to go back into your scene and set the objects with scale 100 back to 1. These will most likely be the rig and the mesh objects inside of your prefab. Then save the prefab in your project folder as you normally would.

THEN....you still have to go into the Avatar configuration and set the main root bone from 100 to 1. Even though you have already done this in the scene and project. THIS WAS MY PROBLEM.

TLDR : last paragraph fixes it.

9. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Glad this solved your issue. You can also refer to this post I've pinned in the forum relating to humanoid issues with animation-rigging. I believe this particular issue should now be fixed in the 2021.2 beta.

10. cihadturhan_unity

cihadturhan_unity

YES! This solved my problem.I think Unity scales the model but not the rig or vice versa. I always checked model scale but not the avatar.

11. wtd_rename

wtd_rename

my model scale factor is 1 and I have that problem

12. Safemilk

Safemilk

Having to put the animator and rig builder on the actual model file in the hierarchy is very restricting and causes a lot of problems in other areas, is there an alternative? Or am I missing a step?

The most advantageous setup for me would be to have a parent object that has the animator and the avatar on it, then a child object that is the actual mesh/rig, the parent object would have the rig builder and the scripts that control the character itself.

Having to put some of those things on the model itself is... thorny... any thoughts?

13. Eleocraft

Eleocraft

I want to make a first person game, where you can hold tools (like for example an axe) in your right hand, and use it to hit things. until now I just used normal animations from mixamo, and everything worked fine. but for the hand to be always visible it needs to follow the camera in a way, which means I need to use inverse kinematics, and for that I figured I should use the animation rigging package. I tried to follow code monkeys tutorial (
    ) on how to set up a basic rig with the package, and use it to aim on something, but not only does the aiming not work (The Hand is just stuck in the middle of the body), but also the entire mesh gets completely offset, and I don't understand why. I think I could probably come create some kind of basic IK system of my own, but that would take a lot of time so I want to avoid doing that.

The Rig is a default humanoid rig, the model is custom made in blender.

any help appreciated!

14. theplayer1124

theplayer1124

I am also stuck with something like this but couldn't find a solution, it would be great if u could share your solution if found here ro help others

15. Eleocraft

Eleocraft

No still searching. I tried the integrated OnAnimatorIK funktions, but they also dont really work.
    Also with rigs from Mixamo I don't have that problem, but I can't figure out what makes them different. I have the theory that it has to do something with the default pose, Ill keep this post updated.

EDIT: So I made it. Honestly I don't really know what fixed it exactly, all I can say is that I fiddled around alot with different settings, notably the fbx export settings, until it worked. Just make sure that you:
    • Apply all transforms in blender, so position/rotation/scale should all be 0
    • also have no scaling in unity
    • exported the rig in T-pose
    • And finally my fbx export settings:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xA8zUCbX3bZVlVuGbC2gSFx6lF1IhWrd/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  16. damstra56

damstra56

After trying every possible 'fix' mentioned, resetting all scales to 1 fixed my IK setup. To think it was that simple...