Search Unity

Animation Rigging Package and Humanoid avatars problems

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by Mauro1965, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Mauro1965

Mauro1965

I'm just started testing the animation rigging package. Read all examples , downloaded and tried even the nynja and megacity workshop examples.
    Really excited because all seems simple and really powerful , but ...
    I'm actually using humanoid animations and an avatar definition,
    when i tried to use the package on my real projects, if i use these (humanoid) animations and add the avatar definition in the animator i have this warning and all rigging doesn't work:
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Binding warning : some generic clips(s) animate transforms that are already bound by a Humanoid avatar. These Transforms can only be changed by Humanoid clips.
    Transforms "lMetatarlsal"
    Transforms "lShin" ...
    ecc
    ---------------------------------------------------------

After that all rigging doesn't work and only the animation works, instead if i remove the avatar definition file the animation doesn't play and the rigging works.

All examples doesn't use humanoid animations and the avatar definitions.
    In my understanding the package acts as a generic clip animator and this conflict with a humanoid animation and/or a humanoid template.
    What i'm doing wrong? is it possible use the animation rigging package with humanoid animations an avatar definitions?

2. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Yes, humanoid is compatible with Animation Rigging.

You can safely ignore the binding warnings. Those were added to warn of animated transforms conflicting with the humanoid hierarchy in an animation clip. However, Animation C# Jobs convert the character pose back to generic transforms in the stream when used by constraints to allow compatibility with jobs implemented for generic characters. We'll need to update this warning eventually to take that into account.

As to why your humanoid character does not evaluate with constraints, we'd need more information as to why it doesn't work. What version of Unity are you using? What is the version of the Animation Rigging package in your project? Is there an error showing in the console when you go in playmode? What is your character setup? Can you reproduce issues with a simple humanoid character setup?

We've also fixed issues in the past when using humanoid characters with Animation C# jobs:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/animation-stream-binding-animationstream-handles-on-a-nested-humanoid-animator-hierarchy-does-not-work

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  3. Mauro1965

Mauro1965

Hello,
    I'm actually using Unity 2019.3.0f3 with the animation rigging 0.26 preview.
    Today i tried to record some humanoid animations using the gameobject recorder (because i'm not able to import the animantions as generic directly) and using the recorded animation without an avatar definition all works as aspected.
    Actually my avatars are quite complex (a Daz genesis8 male and female and the animations are Mixamo Arissa and Adam animation sets) i'll try in the next days to test it with a simpler condiction. I think could be something wrong inside the avatar file.

4. Mauro1965

Mauro1965

Today i did some other tests.
    In reality, after a little confusion I discovered that this issue is related only a particular prefab, in general now i see the correct behaviour . As you said the warning is always present but without any real effect.
    Investigating better now I have discovered that the main difference is inside the animator controller.
    Only with a particular animator controller file, if i have more layers all weights in the rig components are forced to zero. With a new one with the same animations state and layers all works correctly.
    So the issue is related to this animator controller file with something wrong inside.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  5. Codester95

Codester95

Hey, Did you ever solve this issue? I am having the same problems.

Ajasmm02 likes this.
  6. Mauro1965

Mauro1965

Yes, I solved but i left the humanoid avatar. Using a generic avatar now all is under control.
    I spent some time converting all animations using the animation recoder , but now all strange behaviours all disappeared

7. Newbery

Newbery

Hello,

I also have problem using Animation Rigging with Humanoid Avatar, when using an animation from another Humanoid avatar Animation Rigging has strange behaviors, is it possible to use Animation Rigging on a Humanoid Avatar that has Humanoid animations but from other avatars?

I am using unity 2019.3

Ajasmm02 and stephane51 like this.
  8. kiichii

kiichii

Any updates to this?
    If you record through a blank animation clip in playmode with an Avatar Definition, the character crouches at its feet.
    and goes fine if there is no Avatar Definition, however, we use Avatar Definition of the Mixamo clips..

9. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

This shouldn't be an issue. Humanoid clips are retargetable clips, so they should play on any character with a valid humanoid avatar setup.

What issues do you have on your humanoid character?

One thing to know is that Humanoid has its own set of built-in constraints that execute after Animation Rigging. Therefore, if you've enabled FootIK on your character and also built a Leg IK constraint in Animation Rigging, Humanoid FootIK will override the other constraint.

This is the expected behaviour, a humanoid character default pose is its resting pose (crouching), not a t-pose. Therefore, playing a blank clip on a humanoid character will always results in the resting pose. Try setting a valid humanoid clip instead.

10. Antibiotix

Antibiotix

I am also facing imcompatibility with using Humanoid avatar and animation with Animation Rigging. I am using the Synty studio character prefabs, animation from Mixamo. My Character is controlled by character controller, no rigid body and the animator has root motion off.

1) Prior to setting up the animation rig, my character is working fine and all animations are firing correctly.
    2)I added a RigLayer and a weapon object as children.
    3)I added a child to RigLayer and gave it a two bone IK contraint. Root = RIght Shoulder bone, mid = right elbow tip = right hand and sourcec object target = weapon
    4) Now when I play, my character now has a offset in the y direction ( lifted from the ground). Its right arm is twisted into its body. it is contraint to the weapon ( the arm moves when I move the weapon around) but not at the correct position. it the hand is not at the weapon's local origin.
    5) Animations are still firing correctly and the character still move albeit hovering above ground and is wobbling up and down abit.
    6) As soon as I deactivate rig builder, everything is ok
    7) I do have a console error but it's there regardless of the rig builder component being on or off.
    the error is :
    SerializedObjectNotCreatableException: Object at index 0 is null.... I can paste the full error because your site detect it as spam like content.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  11. Antibiotix

Antibiotix

Turns out the problem is I have to use the Fixed Scale character prefab in the Synty asset pack. That fixed my problem. Just leaving it here in case another one is using the same asset pack

alexblackcal, pcharlow, zy967 and 2 others like this.
  12. Newbery

Newbery

Thanks for your reply, after spending a while trying different things I realized that when I use a Humanoid Avatar Animation Rigging seems to be very sensitive to scale, my model did not have scale of 1 in its rig, when i did set the rig scale to 1 and exported it back to unity it worked fine, but even then if I scale my model in unity's scene some strange behaviors return(like some offset in the constraints), is this behavior expected since it doesn't have the transform scale at 1 (even playmode)?

13. crashblockers

crashblockers

I am having an issue with Rig Builder and Ric Constraints.
    "Could not resolve 'RigLayer' because it is not a child Transform in the Animator hierarchy."
    It is, of course, a child to the GO that has the animator and the rig builder and one of my characters is already using this system with no issues. I wonder what can vary on an FBX making rig builder not work..

14. crashblockers

crashblockers

After hours of looking and messing around with pretty much everything, just Exporting my Model and rig without the animations from Maya using the GameExporter it worked, with exactly the same setup....

Lorrak likes this.
  15. FabioGavinelli

FabioGavinelli

Hey, similar problem here, but could be my fault because I mess around a bit.
    I have a humanoid avatar with animations I made and some others imported from mixamo. I need the character to use a two handed object so I used Animation Rigging to create 2 different rigs to place his hands on the object, one for the use action and one for the carry action. To sync those rigs with the animations I keyframed the values of the rig directly inside the animations. (Ex. during the use I keyframed to 0 the rig value for carry rig and to 1 the value of use rig)

Now everything works fine in playmode but in build sometimes the animations stops and all the rigs mess up.

(using unity 2019.3.6 and animation rigging 0.2.6)

16. WaqasGameDev

WaqasGameDev

I also upvote this issue. If I change scale of my model, then the constraint effectors are no more in place and hence though TIP still is constraint to the effector but not following the exact position of the effector. I have set Maintain offset to NONE. And in case of Chain IK constraint, it is never in the same position of the constaint object. There is always an offset no matter what the scale of the object is. Can any one from Untiy comment over it? Thanks.

17. JMEJAY

JMEJAY

alexblackcal and Graham-B like this.
  18. Graham-B

Graham-B

This fixed it for me. I was using an UMA generated character with a humanoid avatar, and not having the Rig inside the root object would stop the constraints from working altogether. Hierarchy seemed to be the key here, at least in my case.

masta-yoda and JMEJAY like this.
  19. solarstreamtechnology

solarstreamtechnology

The Animation Rigging does not work when using Two Bone IK Constraint.

1. I am using Unity 2020.1.4f1 and Animation Rigging 0.3.4.
    2. Add Rig Builder to Character Game Object.
    3. Create RigLayer child to Character Game Object.
    4. Created RightHandIK child to RigLayer.
    5. Add Two Bone IK Constraint to RighthandIK.
    6. Assign RightUpperArm to Root, RightLowerArm to Mid, RightHand to Tip and Weapon's Grip to target.
    7. Click Run and character still in idle pose while showing below warning in the console.

InvalidOperationException: The TransformStreamHandle cannot be resolved.
    UnityEngine.Animations.TransformStreamHandle.CheckIsValidAndResolve (UnityEngine.Animations.AnimationStream& stream) (at <947776085c2a45bebc6afa3092a3f6ed>:0)
    UnityEngine.Animations.TransformStreamHandle.SetLocalTRS (UnityEngine.Animations.AnimationStream stream, UnityEngine.Vector3 position, UnityEngine.Quaternion rotation, UnityEngine.Vector3 scale, System.Boolean useMask) (at <947776085c2a45bebc6afa3092a3f6ed>:0)
    UnityEngine.Animations.Rigging.RigSyncSceneToStreamJob+TransformSyncer.Sync (UnityEngine.Animations.AnimationStream& stream) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.animation.rigging@0.3.4-preview/Runtime/AnimationJobs/RigSyncSceneToStreamJob.cs:49)
    UnityEngine.Animations.Rigging.RigSyncSceneToStreamJob.ProcessAnimation (UnityEngine.Animations.AnimationStream stream) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.animation.rigging@0.3.4-preview/Runtime/AnimationJobs/RigSyncSceneToStreamJob.cs:117)
    UnityEngine.Animations.ProcessAnimationJobStruct`1[T].Execute (T& data, System.IntPtr animationStreamPtr, System.IntPtr methodIndex, Unity.Jobs.LowLevel.Unsafe.JobRanges& ranges, System.Int32 jobIndex) (at <947776085c2a45bebc6afa3092a3f6ed>:0)

20. EmretheGanjaRaiders

EmretheGanjaRaiders

i set the position from riglayer to 0,0,0 that fixed my problem

21. consolelw

consolelw

Has your problem been solved? I have the same situation. It works on the example model, but when I use my own model it print the same error.

22. marcbo12

marcbo12

Hi,
    I'm having some problems with it too.

I have MakeHuman models imported to Unity after exporting them from Blender. After giving them an idle animation from the "Idle Mocap Package" on the asset store i am trying to controll the rotation of their head with the Animation Rigging Package. I do all the setup:
    1. Set the Rig Builder.
    2. Create a Rig under the Root of the bones structure.
    3. Add a Child with the Multi-Aim constraint.
    4. Give the Multi-Aim constraint a Child as a Target and add an Efector.
    When i click play, my character starts flying all over the place and it's head sets in really strange positions. I'm using Unity 2019.4.10f1 and Animation Rigging 0.2.7.
    Can someone explain me if they know how to fix it?

This is how I've imported the model:
    upload_2020-9-30_10-57-56.png

This is what I see after I click play:
    upload_2020-9-30_10-59-25.png

23. mangax

mangax

@simonbz

Edited: i thought Aim constraint scripts are the only ones causing issues with humanoid, but i realised that even rotation constraint scripts causing issues on imported humanoid animations as well, but rotation constraints script effect is smaller compared to aim scripts..

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  24. tommyc6475

tommyc6475

I'm having this exact issue, just like yours!!! It's super frustrating!!!

But as soon as I convert the character from a humanoid to a generic it then works...

Really annoying!!!

25. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

@mangax @tommyc6475 @marcbo12
    Hi, this is most likely the same bug that has been reported in several other threads already:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...x-constraint-moving-the-animators-parent-node

A fix has been submitted in Unity 2020.2 but introduced other issues:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...by-several-units-when-using-animation-rigging

A solution to the latter issue should reach Unity 2020.2 fairly soon. Please give this version a try when it becomes available to see if it resolves your problem. If not, let us know by submitting a bug report so that we can investigate.

eliteforcevn likes this.
  26. eliteforcevn

eliteforcevn

same problem to me

27. solarstreamtechnology

solarstreamtechnology

Tried again with Unity 2020.1.11f1 and and Animation Rigging 0.3.4.

The Animation Rigging with Two Bone IK still does not work.

eliteforcevn likes this.
  28. eliteforcevn

eliteforcevn

The Unity dev should make a tutorial how to setup animation rigging :D

WingOfDeath likes this.
  29. rusorecords

rusorecords

Hi, im having that wierd issue with animation rigging, i have importe Maximo character with idle animation and set it up via Timeline and all worked great until i setup a target with multi-aim constrain, now at play my character has no legs and starts floating sort of levitating, looking at target, driving mi crazy

upload_2020-11-4_22-1-9.png

if i delete a source object from Multi-Aim Constrain, problem gets fixed but obviously im loosing my target, i dont know what is wrong.
    upload_2020-11-4_22-7-55.png

upload_2020-11-4_22-7-12.png

Attached Files:

30. Jebtor

Jebtor

Unity Technologies

Hey @rusorecords, would you be able to provide us with some more information?
    - Do you encounter this problem, in playmode or during preview?
    - What version of Unity & animation rigging are you using?
    - Does this also happen for other constraints?
    - Do you see any messages in the console?

31. mahdiii

mahdiii

Hi. I have used animation rigging package with standard models, it is completely OK but I want to use it with uma models. It does not adjust IK (left and right) correctly. There are some offsets (offset is not constant), do you know why?
    Uma adds meshes in runtime. I have bones in compile time.

32. rusorecords

rusorecords

Hi Jebtor, thank you for helping, I'm attaching extra info below:

- Do you encounter this problem, in playmode or during preview?

In play mode

- What version of Unity & animation rigging are you using?

Resent, up to date, Unity 2019.4.13f1 ARigging 0.2.7

- Does this also happen for other constraints?

Did not tried.

- Do you see any messages in the console?

No messages at all

I Also found that if i remove "Avatar" from the character (Eve) animator component, Eve stops levitating and gets her legs back, but still has an issues with her head, i have tried all Aim Axis, no way i could get control of her head.
    upload_2020-11-5_13-33-36.png

33. mahdiii

mahdiii

Could you help?
    I have some problems with this package (animation rigging) when I use uma models and animations.
    The green hint is IK reference and the blue one is a hand bone. You can see they do not match.
    My setting is correct.

upload_2020-11-6_13-33-6.png
    upload_2020-11-6_13-37-30.png

Attached Files:

34. Jebtor

Jebtor

Unity Technologies

Please make new threads if you encounter new issues or want to continue talking about the issues you are having.

@rusorecords - I am not sure about the avatar issue you are facing. Please file a bug with a minimal repro if it reproduces reliably. The head issue is likely caused by Maintain Rotation offset being enabled on the Multi-Aim constraint.

@mahdiii - make sure you do not have any other constraints active that modify the pose before or after the TwoBoneIK. Also check the scale of your bones. Scaling can cause issues depending on setup and version of Animation Rigging you are using. More information can be found here.

mahdiii likes this.
  35. mahdiii

mahdiii

Thanks, I will create another thread. It is vital to me to correct it.
    Yes, scales are not one (1,1,1), scales of bones change in runtime at the beginning when the mesh is created. For example RightArm scale is 1.062977.
    Does rigging calculations start immediately after the scene is loaded? Can we have some events?
    How do I handle it? I can not change the scales in uma.

36. eliteforcevn

eliteforcevn

I found a solution, it got problem about the 3d mesh and skeleton scale go to other 3d software like maya or blender 3d apply current scale of mesh and skeleton to scale = 1 and export edited model it will be fixed

Jebtor likes this.
  37. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Transfer motion to constraints and transfer motion to skeleton options are always greyed out when using humanoid avatars and clips.

Everything works when I switch to Generic, but nothing work with Humanoid. Is this expected?

I'm using 2020.2 and Animation Rigging 1.0.3

38. grimoirworkshop

grimoirworkshop

got a similar issue. rigging does not work and its weights are forced to zero if i have more than one layer and if one them have humanoid animations. If such layer such weight is set to some value between zero and one than rigging weight can be set up to one minus layer weyght
    unity 2020.2.1f1 ar 1.0.3
    It does not matter if i am using avatar mask or not.
    tried several models.
    tried recreating animator controller from scratch.
    model scale is 1 (though it parents a scaled GO which i added, but making it 1 scale does nothing)
    seemed that problem was in unchecked IK pass, but it also did nothing

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  39. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Yes, this is expected. We don't support humanoid for bi-directional baking.

40. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Maybe make that clearer in the docs then, would have saved me a decent amount of time and frustration.

41. adamgryu

adamgryu

I'm also running into issues with a Humanoid rig and Animation Rigging.

I set up a basic model and rig, with only one Multi-Aim Constraint, on the characters head.
    For some reason, the character starts to float off the ground, and the head seems to look the wrong direction, unless the target is very far from the character.

I tried adjusting the entire hierarchy inside of Blender and in Unity to have a scale of 1, since this thread suggested it might fix the issue. It doesn't seem to. Updating to Unity 2020.2.2, and package 1.0.3 doesn't fix it.

When I remove the humanoid avatar, the character no longer floats and the head looks in the correct direction. So, is there an issue related to humanoid animations?

42. adamgryu

adamgryu

Upon some further investigation, it seems like the issue might be specific to my model. A test model from the asset store worked as expected.

My model is a .blend file imported into Unity. It seems like target position would be accurate if my model was 10 times larger. For example, if I press play, then scale my Multi-Aim Constraint by x0.1 (the target is a child of this) then the aim IK is actually accurate.

Does something get messed up during the Unity .blend import process? Does it shrink the model but not the bone data or something? I can't figure out what is causing this. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  43. WaqasGameDev

WaqasGameDev

Have you checked scale of Parent element as well as Bone Rig is 1,1,1. On importing with wrong settings it may happen the model parent element scale is 1,1,1 but the scale of the bone rig is 100,100,100. I always prefer to import FBX from blender to unity instead o .blend file. I don't remember the exact reason but I studied the better way is FBX import with proper scale and rotation. You can search over it.

44. adamgryu

adamgryu

From the previous replies, I already went through my blender file and fixed the models to make sure things were 1,1,1. However, after checking again, the Rig object was scaled up. Fixing the rig scale fixed this issue - thanks for suggesting it again!

pcharlow and WaqasGameDev like this.
  45. UnityXizor21

UnityXizor21

SUMMARY OF PROBLEM:

I’m having an issue when using Animation Rigging & Timeline together but only on TwoBoneIKConstraint Leg Targets. When I build my Animation Rigs all of my constraints work in Timeline except for the Target of TwoBoneIKConstraints assigned specifically to legs. TwoBoneIKConstraints assigned to arms do seem to work for me.

I have no issues with any constraints when entering into Play Mode without Timeline.

In the attached video demonstration of my issue you can observe that I have no problems with the foot Target of the TwoBoneIKConstraint assigned to the rigged Ninja. It's only with my Mixamo characters (of which I've tried many).

UNITY & PACKAGE VERSIONS:
    • Unity 2020.3.1f1 (LTS)
    • Animation Rigging Package 1.0.3

OBSERVABLE BEHAVIORS:

1. When Entering PlayMode Without Timeline:
    • All Constraints perform as expected (as shown in video)
    2. When Working In Timeline:
    • MultiAim Constraints work.
    • TwoBoneIKConstraint Leg Hints work.
    • TwoBoneIKConstraint Leg Targets DO NOT WORK (for me).
    • TwoBoneIKConstraint Arm Targets work.
    • TwoBoneIKConstraint Arm Hints work.
    Why might this be happening for me? Without Timeline everything works properly in Play Mode. It's only in Timeline that this one issue pops up.

P.S. Is there a more efficient methodology (in place of my World Position Override Track) for handling a character’s world placement when adding them to an animation track to timeline?

Thank you for your attention,

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  46. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

I ran into this too. I have an FBX humanoid rigged and I too can not move either foot but the knee goes spastic Elvis.
    I have only the human idle animation added.
    I also get this which I think is related to the bone axis:
    I hit play and the hand flips around.
    I thought it might the angle constraint dials but they dont show up to try any adjustments.
    In line with this thread I can not move the feet and only the left hand does this automagically.
    In fact it is the only body part that performs incorrectly as far as maintaining a correct position.
    This could have been a separate thread but it looks like a flying subscript somewhere.
    Some work and some assume new positions.
    upload_2021-4-27_9-33-40.png

47. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  48. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

I take it this would be the central location for these type of issues.:
    I have configured an avatar with muscle modifications and in all sessions the changes are not kept.
    In this last session the apply and revert buttons dont even light up.
    In all cases the model does this default position when in PREVIEW.
    I did find the instructions for this in
    https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/character-animation#5c7f8528edbc2a002053b4fa
    I was hoping muscle modifications would perform to correct this default positioning to a new position.
    It seemed to me that this is the one thing that connects the model to positioning to animation to controller.
    This seems to be where the random jumping around comes from that most every one runs into and posting how nothing is working or strange behaviors.
    One would think that a default T-pose would be included in a default pose, animator, controller. But not so.
    The Unity supplied controllers and animations work but not any I create.
    I flip between the two animators(Human_Idle and mine HumanStaticPose and see in my setup I have minimal entries. In my animator the model drops.
    There is a switch or parameter missing.
    I hope I am missing something simple.
    upload_2021-4-28_14-14-50.png
    upload_2021-4-28_14-17-15.png

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  49. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

This did not help.
    I have copied the Override scene IKs to my model. The IKs work as far as I can tell but the main body drops down in the Y axis. If I can get this model to not drop I would a better chance at tackling the finer IKs.
    Why does the body switch to a new position that is not defined anywhere noticible when the preview is pressed?
    The Humanoid_Idle animator works great as in the model does not change to a new position.

50. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

Unity 2020.3.4f1
    The muscle modifications in the inspector appear and dont actually save therefore do not appear when Preview in the animator timeline.
    If I create a new animation the model then reverts to the fetal position like in the muscle modification window.
    I have a large animation , humanoid idle from FinalIK asset, that I copied and that makes the model perform correctly because all the default muscle positions in the inspector are overwritten. That is a pain. But once it is configured I can then start to swap out the sub animations to replace with static positions.
    The real bug fix is where Unity fixes the muscle modification inspector to save the modifications. I have seen where in the inspector I change a muscle rotation and the apply or revert button does not enable, only done which loses all mods.
    Really?
    I did the hard haul labor now. Would some Unity tech look at this please?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021