Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for feedback on the experimental Unity Safe Mode which is aiming to help you resolve compilation errors faster during project startup.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Animation Rigging - only in Play mode? how do I preview the animation?

Discussion in 'Animation Previews' started by BuzzKirill, May 25, 2020.

1. BuzzKirill

BuzzKirill

I've been trying to get AR to work, and it seems that the constraints/controllers only work in Play mode? Is that correct? This means there's no way to, for example, create IK animations in the Timeline while being able to preview them in the editor?

2. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi,

No, you can keyframe animation in timeline with Animation Rigging constraints.

While constraints will not evaluate by themselves in editor mode, they will work to keyframe animation in both the animation window (2019.2+) and timeline (2019.3+).

3. BuzzKirill

BuzzKirill

See, that's my problem right there. I wanted to create a cutscene in the Timeline, with characters moving around and interacting. But if there's no live preview in the Editor, it's virtually impossible to animate them...

4. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I think you misunderstood my last post.

What I meant to say is a constraint by itself will not evaluate in the editor, but will evaluate using Timeline or the Animation Window both in editmode and in playmode.

What version of Unity are you using? We pushed changes to Timeline in Unity 2019.3 to allow the constraints to evaluate in edit mode.

BuzzKirill likes this.
  5. m506

m506

hi, I am having the same issue as him. The rig wont animate in timeline. I am using Unity 2019.3.13f1 and AR 0.2.6.
    I tried to search and entire internet how to do it but I found nothing. So can I please ask you to post a very quick guide how to make the rigs to update properly in timeline? This is what I did:
    - Selected a target transform from an "two bone IK constraint" (hand)
    - Created a timeline asset for that
    - Hit "record" to start keyframing
    - Moved the transform a few times (hand didn't update but effector gizmo did)

I guess there's some specific setup we need to do before start keyframing? See picture below for your reference:
    upload_2020-5-26_3-42-44.png

Please help
    Thanks

6. BuzzKirill

BuzzKirill

So I just tested it in 2019.3 and yes, it works as long as that Record button is on. Thank you.
    @m506, have you seen the Unity tutorial on how to setup the rig? It's not a very intuitive process, maybe you missed some steps?

7. m506

m506

Hi, the rig I am using for testing was provided by Unity in one of their workshops, so I must be doing something wrong when trying to record the animation but the rig should be fine, as it works during playmode.

I uploaded the full project here if anyone is interested:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pEtGAgd7hbYqkdjCglzt6Jy5b4lRdAst?usp=sharing

I am trying to animate the "RightArm_target" from the "NinjaRig_Ramen" model.

Regards

8. dgoyette

dgoyette

Hi @simonbz ,

I was wondering if there was any way to force animation constrains to evaluate outside of the two contexts you've mentioned so far (Previewing an animation clip or previewing a timeline). I use a 3rd party sequencer tool (Slate), which has Animation tracks than can play animation clips. My Animation Rigging constraints work fine in play mode, but the constraints don't evaluate when an animation clip is played by Slate. I was wondering if there was some global event that can be called to force evaluation? Otherwise, I don't see how basically any 3rd party sequencing tool can be compatible with Animation Rigging?

9. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

dgoyette likes this.
unityunity