Search Unity

Question Animation Rigging Multi-Aim source object won't sit still

Discussion in 'Animation' started by mattseaton22, Jan 20, 2023.

1. mattseaton22

mattseaton22

It works. The multi-aim component makes my character's head bone follow the source object, so I can control where my character looks.

But the target doesn't sit still. It looks like the idle animation I have playing is influencing the target , moving it back and forth. The target is not a child of the skeleton, so I don't understand why this is happening.

I watched the Brackey's video and it was perfectly still.

Also it doesn't seem to make a difference which aim axis I set the constraint to. The character is always looking at the target in the same way. I'm so confused.

2. mattseaton22

mattseaton22

Ok I turned off apply root motion and it went away. I guess I'll have to do without root motion since the rig builder has to be on the same component as the animator. Is there any way to use root motion while keeping your rig constraints stationary?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  3. mattseaton22

mattseaton22

Well the solution is obvious in hindsight. There is no reason the target gameobject has to be in the hierarchy under the animator with the rig. I moved it outside and now I can have fully controlled constraints while still using root motion for my animator.

4. mattseaton22

mattseaton22

While this solution works, it breaks the effector. The effector remains, but any attempt to modify it raises an NRE where the script tries to reference the rig.