Search Unity

Bug Animation Rigging glitchy when Weight Changes

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by HeyBishop, Jan 30, 2021.

1. HeyBishop

HeyBishop

I've got some unwanted behaviour happening with my animation rig.

I'm using two Two-Bone IK Constraints for a humanoid to grab an object with both hands. I'm easing the weight of the rig up and down at the start/end of the animations. However, there's a moment when the arms wig out and go to unusual places.

Here's a clip of my issue in action:

2. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi,

First off, your cat is pardoned ;)

Secondly, thank you for the video, it's very well explained.

I'm noticing you're using a humanoid rig for your character. Have you tried doing the same with a generic rig?

Otherwise, do you have any other constraints in the rig that could explain why you'd be getting this weird pose?

The pose should definitely not pop up like it does when you're changing the weight. Internally, we're optimizing calculation and bypassing the constraint when the weight reaches zero, but it should offer a smooth result. If you can, please submit us a bug report using the Unity bug reporter and we'll have a look.

3. HeyBishop

HeyBishop

Sure thing, I'll submit a bug report.

In this particular case, I don't think a generic rig is possible.
    The animator is including some masked layers, including some layers that use IK. The inner workings of the animator is a wee bit beyond me, this animation controller is (in part) coming from an asset store asset - so there is a lot of stuff going on. But I feel pretty confident that it's just a basic idle animation blending into my reaching animation + the animation rigging.

Also, I apologize on behalf oh my cat, he hasn't acknowledged your pardon... typical.

4. HeyBishop

HeyBishop

Reported!

5. HeyBishop

HeyBishop

Hi there @simonbz, just checking in. Did my bug report submit successfully?

6. olivecrow

olivecrow

I faced the same problem as this.

The animation I was working on was also a simple motion to move the transform of TwoBoneIK's target to the lever's handle position in the lever-pulling animation.

While lowering the weight of TwoBoneIK to release the hand after pulling the lever, as the weight decreases, the position of the hand moves to a place that has nothing to do with the position of the target. That position wasn't the position the hand should be facing when the weight was zero.

7. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Yes, I see it on our bug database. It's still being processed.

HeyBishop likes this.
  8. swingingtom

swingingtom

Hi @simonbz , according to the issuetracker https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...sition-is-not-smooth-when-changing-rig-weight this issue has been fixed in v1.1.0 but Im unable to update animation rigging package above v1.0.3

On the animation rigging package page, I can see changelog, I can see the both new version 1.1.0 and 1.1.1, but Package Manager window is not aware of those updates.

upload_2021-8-26_10-2-19.png

Am I missing some "hidden" dependencies ?
    Im using 2021.1.16f

EDIT: After explicitely adding the package by name "com.unity.animation.rigging" and referencing version "1.1.1" I was able to update animation rigging package. The hand doesn't go in weird position anymore.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  9. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Version 1.1.0 of animation rigging is in preview for Unity 2021.1. It's been released alongside 2021.2.

To install preview versions of packages, refer to this link:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/upm-ui-find.html

There is a section there explaining how to install preview versions of packages.

10. NexysStormcloud

NexysStormcloud

Two bone IK glitches appear on weight change when hint object is set, when there is no hint bone, transition seems to be ok