Search Unity

Animation Rigging Effectors: Let effector size inform "Frame Selected" behavior

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by dgoyette, Jul 11, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I've got some small effectors for use with IK:

upload_2020-7-11_13-53-42.png

If I select one of these, then from "F" to focus on that object, the view zooms out very far, because the size of the mesh in the gizmos isn't used to inform the Frame Selected tool's bounds. It would be really nice if the bounds of the effector mesh could be used, as though the game object was a Primitive cube of the same size.

AndrewKaninchen likes this.
  2. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

This might just be your last focused distance offset is being used. If you middle mouse click on a mesh it will recenter your focus distance and its offset. Anything you select then try to focus on after that will use that last offset distance.

3. dgoyette

dgoyette

I don't see any indication that such a thing as "last focused distance" exists, or at least that it's not used by the Frame Select tool. Quick way to verify: Add a new empty game object at (0,0,0); middle click one something very close by; select the empty game object in the Hierarchy view then press "F". This will definitely zoom out to some specific distance, unaffected by whatever I last middle clicked on.

I do use middle click in place of "F" at times, and it's useful for setting the rotation center in a similar way as "F" does. But it only works with visible objects, which isn't always what I'm working with.

I did, however, see an editor script in this thread:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/f-f...does-it-zoom-out-so-much.502796/#post-5300517

Basically, it allows customization of a feature that more or less does the same as "F", but with some configurability. For now, I'm using this to augment "F", with a very close zoom, which is usually what I want when I use "F".