Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Animation re-targeting adding additional animation

Discussion in 'Animation' started by richstubbs, Sep 19, 2022.

1. richstubbs

richstubbs

Hey all,

I have a question about animation re targeting. In this example lets say I want to re-target a "run" animation to another character. They have the same base skeleton however one character has a cloak which is skinned to additional joints in the hierarchy. I want to be able to reuse some animations but at the same time have additional animations drive the additional aspects of the different characters.What I want to know is what is the best way to achieve this?

As far as I know my options are
    a) use physics to simulate the additional pieces (don't want to do this as its pretty expensive on performance)
    b) use another rig in unity and animate on top ()
    c) don't use unitys re-targeting system at all, reuse the animation in an animation software, animate the additional parts, and export the new animations that way

I know each option has it's limitations and tbh I'm leaning more towards not using unitys targeting system, and instead re targeting inside an animation packaged (maya/blender) But if anyone could give me some insight on this it would be greatly appreciated

thanks