Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Animation playable mixing two animators produces a lot of garbage

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by thelebaron, Jul 13, 2016.

1. thelebaron

thelebaron

Ive only been doing some very preliminary tests with the system, still trying to honestly figure out how its better than creating one animator that already has all the information built in.
    Anyway to the point, adding and setting playable.layerweight in update seems to produce a fair amount of garbage, is this the wrong way to go about it or is it just unoptimised as its an experimental feature?

2. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

The total weight of all your child playables in a mixer needs to be <=1. Otherwise you might get weird results.I imagine that's what's happening to you.

And of course, if you mix totally unrelated animations in two different AnimatorControllers, you'll also get weird results. You need to figure out how you want to synchronize those together if you want it to look nice.

The Playables API is indeed still experimental, and it's not meant to be better or to replace straight AnimatorControllers. It's meant to be a low-level API access to the Animation engine, so that users can create their own custom animation blending solutions.

3. thelebaron

thelebaron

I meant as in the profiler garbage calls(could've sworn it was topic worthy at least!) but doesn't seem to be happening with the latest version. Anyway thanks, also are there any plans to be able to switch to an animator sub state machine's entry node rather than a specific state within that sub state machine? I saw it was mentioned as on the roadmap (here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/go...-a-specific-state-within.311676/#post-2706434) but its been a while since any official response.