Search Unity

Animation on 'extra' bones missing/stripped in Unity. (Unity 4.6)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by cwinder_hothead, Feb 20, 2015.

1. cwinder_hothead

cwinder_hothead

Our skeleton has a number of bones which are not included in Unity's Humanoid Avatar definition. Extra face bones, and a couple of joints used to locate/animate props like balls or other characters.

On a previous project the animation on these extra bones would be retained if they were included in an avatar mask. But now on Unity 4.6 (possibly earlier) this animation is gone. The joints remain in their default positions.

I have also tried switching the rig to generic but then all the animations appear to Tpose.

Thoughts?

Also posted on Answers:
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/906124/animation-on-extra-bones-missingstripped-in-unity.html

2. Jself

Jself

I always had to check on "optimize game objects" and add them to that list on the rig in the inspector, in order to do what you are saying. Is that your process as well?

3. cwinder_hothead

cwinder_hothead

In the past I've only used the avatar mask to include all bones and that both fixed facial bones and our "mount" joints used to position things which weren't in the avatar definition. Since maybe 4.6 or something like that this method no longer works. I did try "optimize game objects" and added the bones there but that didnt seem to work.

4. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

That look like a bug

Please log a bug with your project.

5. cwinder_hothead

cwinder_hothead

So what is the correct method? The avatar mask? Is "optimize game objects" necessary?

6. Jself

Jself

Avatar Mask is used for blending animations. Optimize Game Objects is used for adding bones to the hierarchy of a Humanoid (and generic too, i think) skeleton.

Or that is what I gather from the documentation.